courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Transferring from schools can sometimes be a nerve-wracking experience, especially to having to go to one where you don’t know anyone.

It’s like being a freshmen all over again. You’ve got to make new friends and build all new relationships. You’ve also got to start all over with getting to know all of your teachers. And let’s not even talk about transferring to a small town from a big city, that’s even more of an adjustment.

The traffic is slower, the buildings are shorter, and there are less things to do.

Shena Jamison opens up about her experience of transferring from the big city of Chicago to the small town of Statesboro by saying, “It has its ups and downs, there are times when I’m happy I transferred here, but there are also other times where I’m really bored. I just need to give Southern a chance and open up a little bit more.”

The toughest thing about being a transfer student is, trying to become friends with people who are already comfortable within their own group of friends. When you come to school as a freshman, most of the people in your classses and around you are freshmen as well. It is easier to make friends because, you all have that goal in mind.

The biggest thing a transfer student should consider is being involved on campus. Joining organizations or playing sports is a great way to meet new people. Being an active member of your college community allows you to grow and become a more social person.

Brea T. Dupye

Georgia Southern

Hey! My name is Brea Dupye, and I am a junior transfer student from Baltimore, Maryland. I am majoring in Journalism with a minor in Spanish. One day I hope to pursue a career in entertainment news to become one of the first plus size in camera hosts for E! news, or interviewing on the red carpet.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.