Thanksgiving Pet Peeves We can Do Without

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

The time has arrived for us college students to be surrounded by family and close friends, giving thanks and feasting over Thanksgiving. As students, we have been waiting impatiently for this break and a lot of us are even more excited for the food that will enter our mouth on Thanksgiving Day. There is nothing like being amongst people who genuinely care about and love you. However, there are some things that a lot of us are not anticipating and could do without this year. You don’t even have to be a college student to have a problem with any of these Thanksgiving pet peeves.

• Kids eat first??? The struggle is real to get a meal in college. We have been looking forward to a good, home-cooked meal since August – one that we did not have to force ourselves to cook. Sorry, we cannot wait for the kids.

• Instead of asking “How’s school going?” can we get “How are you?”. Nobody too much cares to discuss the hell-hole we just escaped, at least not yet. Wait until the semester is over, at least. We do understand concerns and wanting to know how things are going, but could we skip it this year? I mean, this is a break.

• Eating all of my favorite Thanksgiving food before I have access to it is a big disappointment. Please, let me have this one satisfaction. That also means “house-hoppers” need to limit themselves – the people who hop from house-to-house with to-go plates.

• Pointing out a person’s weight who just came from college is uncomfortably awkward. Whether weight was gained or loss from stress and starvation, please do not point it out in front of everyone.
I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.