This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Meet Dequan Watkins, this week’s artist for Talented Tuesday! He is a senior here at Southern, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Childhood Family Development. Along with working diligently towards his degree he manages to work on his music. He’s an upcoming artist coming from Southside Atlanta, Georgia going by the alias MustChaseMoney or MCM. You may have seen his project Pacing and Chasing Man; and if you haven’t already downloaded it, you can find it on Apple Music, Spotify, YouTube, and other major streaming applications.

Dequan has always been interested in music. With him being exposed to good quality music from his mom and growing up exploring artists like Lil Wayne and Young Thug, he has created his own lane for his own music. He started writing his own songs back in 2011. In high school, he kind of just played around with it but in 2013-2014 he started taking it more seriously, really trying to perfect his craft and make music that people can actually bump. Writing songs comes naturally for him. Catching a vibe to create has ever been an issue but he feels like, sometimes, it’s a little difficult to convey the truth without riding the new waves and trends or depicting a different life he’s not living. Although that is quite the task, he’s still putting real music out here for us. He’s been to studios in Atlanta and Statesboro, but he’s noticed that the two are definitely different. With ATL being a booming city for music, Statesboro doesn’t really offer that so it’s a matter of who you know. Pretty tricky game to play when writing and producing but MCM still out here grinding. He’s actually preparing to drop an EP on the 16th of this month, so be on the lookout for that.

He plans on getting his degree and to continue working on music. He’s securing his future, taking both routes into perspective. When I asked if he planned to go up with this music he, very humbly, shared that he’s just waiting,

“If it pops, then it pops.”

With that being said, he encourages everyone to be patient and chase their dreams.

Jazzlyn Page

Georgia Southern '21

Sharing the things I think quietly with those that admire me
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.