Spring Break Safety Tips That Apply Year-Round!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Spring break is over, but that doesn’t mean that troubles are gone. Being safe is a year-round task! Here are some spring break safety tips that are useful no matter what time of the year it is!

Transportation

• Don’t drink and drive!
  • Use an uber, a designated driver, or cab/taxi service.

Your life is much more than a few drinks, and it’s much cheaper to pay a car service than a ticket!

Buddy System   

• Keep an eye out for predators.
  • Don’t go to the bathroom, or run up to the hotel room alone!
  • Don’t leave a friend unattended while using the buddy system.
  • Don’t go anywhere alone! Especially if you’re going out of town or somewhere exotic, let your love ones know where you are. Even if that means calling a family member or a friend that didn’t attend the trip and let them know your departure date as well as your expected return date.

Dealing with the Police

• If pulled over be cooperative!
  • Already have your license and registration easily accessible.
  • Turn down music, have your friends stop whatever they’re doing and calm down as well. Although they might not be in the drivers seat, you don’t need them prolonging your “stop” from being combative or uncooperative.
  • If given a ticket, this is not the time to argue. You can argue your case in court if needed. Make sure that time of stop, condition of vehicle and weather, and police officers name is correct, this is valuable data that can help in court.
  • Be respectful, yet firm with your answers. You should be on our way within a matter of minutes.
  • If stop is prolonged and something doesn’t feel right, take your cell phone out and call 911. Yes you can still call 911!!! Get it documented, so that if something transpires you have evidence of getting additional assistance.

Partying

• If traveling make sure you know the rules and laws of your destination.
  • Hydrate and wear sunscreen if you’re going outside.
  • Don’t share too much information of your whereabouts on social media. This is a perfect way for people to keep track of where you are and is ideal for predators. Share with delayed time, not at the moment. Hours after leaving lunch or a pool party.
  • Have a code word or signal to alert friend’s feelings of uncertainty or uncomfortable vides.
  • Don’t leave drink or food unintended.
  • Make sure that your phone is more than half way charged at all times.
  • Go out with your friends, go home with your friends. For those who use this time for meeting new friends and have no intentions of going back to your hotel with the friends you came with, give your friends details about where you’re going, who you’re going with, when to expect you back, capture of photo id or picture of individual you’re leaving with. Seems pretty extreme, but your life is worth it!!!
  • Take pepper spray! This goes for females and males as well. Kidnapping and rape commonly occurs to women, but men or subject to this as well especially when traveling alone.
  • Be aware, and trust your intuition!!!

Have fun and make new memories while having a safety mindset this spring break!!!

Bridget Johnson

Georgia Southern

I’m Bridget! I have a degree in Business and currently majoring in Psychology. My ultimate goal is to have my own practice. I love glamour, fashion, photography, writing, art, dance, poetry-really any form of expression. I’m almost always with family or friends, although I do love some “me” time. I’m a free spirit and enjoy meeting new people.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.