This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

‘Tis the season to be frightened! As October draws closer to it’s close, the warm long nights become brisk and shorter, giving us the perfect opportunities to cozy up and watch horror movies or go with friends in haunted houses. Maybe you’re bored of horror movies and haunted houses, and if so, then maybe you should try podcasts! Here’s three terrifying podcasts that are sure to spook you:

L O R E

“Because sometimes the truth is more frightening than fiction.”

Lore is a bi-weekly podcast that focuses on dark historical tales. The comfort of ignorance that we grow accustomed to is broken by Aaron Mahnke, the soft-spoken host of this podcast. This podcast shows how the popularity of lore and superstition that was so strong centuries ago still finds a way to unsettle us today.    

C R E E P Y

“Whether these stories truly happened or are simply fabrications is for you to decide..”

Creepy, from creator Jon Grilz, claims to be “a collection of the most famous and disturbing urban legends and creepypastas in the world”. The stories are mixed between real stories and creepypastas (copied and pasted horror stories that have been repeated so often they become believable). Have fun listening to these internet myths being twisted into eerily realistic stories.

S P O O K E D

“Based on a True Story”  

This one’s my personal favorite. You know how much more scary horror movies become when the “based on a true story” disclaimer shows? Well, these supernatural stories are told firsthand by actual people who actually experienced them.

Happy binge listening!

LaVonna Wright

Georgia Southern

LaVonna is a Junior at Georgia Southern University. She is currently pursuing a major in English Literature with a minor in Religious Studies. LaVonna worked as a writer for the 2017-2018 school year, and is now the editor for the 2018-2019 school year. She loves all of the softer things in life and aspires to use her passion for written word to help others become the best version of themselves. Check out her personal blog: lavonnawrites.com or follow her on Instagram @_lwright "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God’s handwriting." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.