Spelman vs. Morehouse Rape Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

On Wednesday, November 8 Morehouse and Spelman College went head to head on Twitter with the main topic being rape allegations. Wednesday students put up an extreme volume of signs with a list of names including multiple male students who currently attend Morehouse. Many of the names are popular on both Twitter and campus. Some of the names include football players, presidents’ of organizations, campus leaders, and even professors. Some of the student population are trying to cover up the allegations claiming that they are not truthful and some girls just want the attention. The side of the student population is saying that the rape victims deserve justice and a tarnished reputation is a lot less important than the traumatic experience the victims had to deal with. Many girls on Twitter presented their timelines with their stories of how these men have raped them and they told authorities, officials, and administration and nothing ever happened. On Wednesday Morehouse released the following statement…

“”At Morehouse College, we will investigate all claims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, violence, and discrimination filed with our Title IX Coordinator. Our Sexual Misconduct Policy and Procedures guidelines provide for disciplinary action, including dismissal, if any student or faculty/staff member engages in inappropriate behavior. Morehouse is focused on providing a safe environment for our students, faculty, staff, and visitors. Our priority is to maintain a campus environment that develops young men who are academically excellent, community servants, and leaders in society. 

“We have programs in place to educate students about sexual misconduct, including the Not In My House campaign, launched to communicate that violence, discrimination, and disrespect will not be tolerated at Morehouse College. We also have a Healthy Campus Task Force, which is composed of students, staff, and faculty members working in collaboration with the Georgia Independent College Association to raise awareness of campus sexual violence and to coordinate prevention efforts. Student leaders, resident assistants, athletes, and campus organizations participate in training that focuses on their roles in spreading the message that sexual misconduct is prohibited and will be investigated. 

“We encourage anyone who has been impacted by sexual harassment or assault on the Morehouse College campus to come forward and file a complaint or to use our anonymous complaint hotline.””

Follow the story on twitter using the hashtag #WeKnowWhatYouDid

Nia Jean-Pierre

Georgia Southern

I am an Atlanta native and I am very social once you get to know me. I am an Early-Childhood Education major at Georgia Southern University with a concentration in teaching grades 3-5 with intent of impacting their lives in the most positive way possible. I am often referred to as "not your average girl", I love to shop, hang out with my friends, and get my nails done, however I can play NBA2k on PlayStation all day as well. I thoroughly enjoy weekends at home watching Netflix and relaxing. I am a formal personal blogger with hopes of sharing my personal thoughts with the entire HerCampus community. "A lot of people resist transition and therefore never allow themselves to enjoy who they are. Embrace the change, no matter what it is; once you do, you can learn about the new world you're in and take advantage of it." - Nikki Giovanni
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.