Sorority Saturday: AKA Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

This week’s feature for Sorority Saturday’s is Georgia Southern’s Lambda Kappa Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated. I sat down with Chapter president, Myla Kelly, to get more info on her and the Chapter.

• What made you want to be a part of Greek life?
    • “Neither of my parents were a part of Greek life, but both of my parents attended HBCU’s and we would go back to their school’s every year for homecoming. This was my first time being introduced to Greek life and seeing this large and elite group of black people made me want to find out more about what it was.”
  • How has joining Greek life changed and/or benefited you as a person?
    • “It definitely opens up a lot of connections and networking professionally and just socially in general. I once met a fellow Greek member that just so happened to be a recruiter for a job I wanted that offered to help me just because he knew what I was a part of.”
  • How do you juggle the responsibilities of being the Chapter’s president along with school work, social life and other orgs?
    • “I don’t get sleep. It’s a lot of decision making involved as far as choosing what’s more important that day like do I want to sleep or get homework done? I also don’t think students really realize how much work goes into planning different events and things for the Chapter.”
  • What made you choose AKA?
    • “The values of the sorority and seeing older members made me realize it was right for me. The commitment of it was a big part as well because it’s really something that is a lifetime journey. I’m sure when you’re riding down the street you see AKA and license plates or some sort of paraphernalia all the time! Also, who wouldn’t want to be FIRST?”
  • What advice would you give to those looking to be involved in Greek life?
    • “Come to any events, follow their Instagram and Twitter pages, and don’t be scared to get to know your campus members.”

You can get to know more about Myla by following her on social media!

IG: @myla_kelly_

IG: @gasouthernakas

Twitter: @myla_kelly_

Jorden Allen

Georgia Southern '21

Jorden is a sophomore journalism major at Georgia Southern University. She grew up in Atlanta, GA and enjoys sleeping, eating and watching football! #southernneverstate #hailsouthern #gata
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.