This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

As a young Afro-Latina, keeping my head up can be frustratingly difficult, and being in college definitely adds some stress. From political struggles to personal ones, it takes a lot of work for anyone to stay positive.

There are days I want to allow myself to feel sad, however, most days I need a distraction from unhealthy ways of thinking. To lift my spirits I’ve created my playlist to ease my mind and inspire me even if it’s only for a little while. Here are a few songs I love when I’m feeling low:

Bigger by Beyonce

“Step out of your estimate. Step in your essence and know that you’re excellent, rise.”

The first time I heard this song, I was unimaginably moved. When I hear it now, I can’t stop the warm feeling that overpowers me, nor do I want to. During low points in my life, this song reminds me to step back from the wild expectations I place on myself and appreciate who I am and where I am. 

Crown by CHIKA 

“Thinkin’ ‘bout who I’d be if I’d listen to doubt. Said I’d never do it, well, look at me now.”

In times of discouraging doubt, this song continues to hold my hand. This song religiously reminds me to keep my visions, goals, and plans in view. Growing up, I was always told to be in my own driver’s seat, meaning make decisions that are right for you. This is unbelievably challenging, especially since we are constantly learning what is right for us. However, this song moves me to own my decisions and take charge of my own life.

Pretty Little Birds by SZA (feat. Isaiah Rashad)

“My wings don’t fly like they used to, but I wanna fly with you. Til we hit the heavens.” 

SZA’s music is always a vibe, but this song always relaxes me during times of diffidence, this song renews my self-confidence. 

Ungodly Hour by Chloe x Halle

“When you decide you like yourself… When you don’t have to think about it… Love me at the ungodly hour.”

Chloe x Halle’s Ungodly Hour album is a complete mood. Filled with songs that unapologetically express a lot of relatable feelings. I love this song because of the unashamed self-love that they represent. Overall, this song gives me unapologetic energy and I feel like a renewed sense of assurance in who I am.

Alexis Badger

Georgia Southern '22

Hello everyone! My name is Alexis Badger and I am currently a senior at Georgia Southern University studying Writing & Linguistics with a minor in Multimedia Journalism. During my free time, I enjoy reading and posting on my reading blog (IG: @readwith.lex). After graduation, I hope to work on publishing my own work.
Jorden Allen

Georgia Southern '21

Jorden is a sophomore journalism major at Georgia Southern University. She grew up in Atlanta, GA and enjoys sleeping, eating and watching football! #southernneverstate #hailsouthern #gata