This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Music is apart of everyday life. It brings people together at parties, sporting events, and more. From the beat to the lyrics to the overall aura of our favorite songs, music has the ability to speak to people. We can relate to so much that is said in a song, or we a song could just put us in a good mood. Music evokes emotion, some songs make a cry, mad, happy, confident, and more. Georgia Southern University students love music so much that i’ve seen people walk around with headphones in or blast music out loud for everyone to hear. From old songs to new songs music is powerful. Here are a list of songs that empower women: 

1.“Run the World” by Beyonce

This hit from from Beyonce’s fourth studio album. It has electro pop and R&B vibes. It has been certified gold in the United States and has become a major anthem for women worldwide. Other songs by Beyonce that have been major anthems for women include: “Flawless,” “I Was Here,” “Formation,” and more. Key lyrics include: “Make your check, come at they neck disrespect us, no they won’t.” 

2. “Scars to Your Beautiful” by Alessia Cara

This pop song has a powerful message for women about body image. The media has played a negative role in representing real women. Time and time again we see women in magazines and on social media caked with makeup, perfect bodies, photoshopped, and more to carve a certain standard of beauty in America. From Kim Kardashian to Victoria Secrets models, the media promotes that “sex sells” but fails to show a variety of women with different skin tones and bodies and uplift women for who they are and their accomplishments instead of their appearances. This song encourages women to love themselves and be proud to be who they are. Key lyrics include: “You should know you’re beautiful just the way you are and you don’t have to change a thing, the world could change its heart.” 

3. “Girl on Fire” by Alicia Keys

This is an R&B ballad from Key’s fifth album. This song has been certified gold in the United States. This song is sure to uplift and bring confidence to any woman that listens to it. Key lyrics include: “Everybody Stands as she goes by cause they can see the flame that’s in her eyes.” 

4. “Just Fine” by Mary J. Blige

This R&B hit is from Blige’s eighth album “Growing Pains.” This Grammy nominated song is about being free and content with who you are and where you are in life. It is sure to make anyone want to dance. Key lyrics include: “No time for moping around, are you kidding? And no time for negative vibes, cause i’m winning.” 

5. “Hero” by Mariah Carey

This is an R&B classic from Carey’s third album. She shows very strong vocals on this song that is sure to invoke emotion. This song encourages that even though you may be going through a tough time, you can get through it by staying strong. Key lyrics include: “And you cast your fears aside and you know you can survive.”

Khiyah G

Georgia Southern '19

My name is Khiyah Griffin and I am currently a junior at Georgia Southern University majoring in Journalism.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.