Skin Love: How to Create a Custom Exfoliating Body Scrub

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Exfoliating is a God-sent process that everyone should partake in. Exfoliating basically removes the layer of dead skin from your body while leaving your skin soft and radiant. You feel the difference immediately after the first try! Learn how to create your own scrub, that way you know exactly what you are putting on your body, plus it’s cheaper and we love to save the coins.

The most important part of the scrub is the base. This is what will do the scrubbing to remove the dead skin. Some common bases are sugar (white and brown), salt and oatmeal. The scrub needs to have a grainy feel to it in order to scrub and these will do exactly that.

The scrub also needs a moisturizer, or binding agency. You will definitely have to moisturize after exfoliating, but it should also be included in the scrub. This will make everything else in the scrub work together and help with the application. These are often oils such as olive oil, coconut oil or any moisturizing oil. Melted shea and cocoa butter will work well, too. Other binding agents in scrubs may include honey or even bananas.

Other ingredients are added to offer more benefits to the scrub. For example, lemon is awesome at a ton of things as an antioxidant, but it also brightens and evens out the skin. Essential oils are awesome and can offer other added benefits, depending on the oil, along with a pleasant smell.

Summer is approaching, and legs will be out. Get your skin right, so it can flourish and glow in the sunlight (winks). Exfoliating offers smoother skin, unclogged pores and can limit breakouts and acne. Not only that, but the process can be calming and therapeutic. After showing, apply the scrub in circular motions all over, then rinse and apply your daily moisturizer.

Be mindful, exfoliating should not be done every day because it can dry your skin out. You must allow time for your skin to bounce back before doing it again. I would go for 2 or 3 times weekly, spread out.

Check out this list of DIY Body Scrub Recipes for Smooth and Radiant Skin posted by Ann Marie, a brand that specializes in natural and healthy skin care.

Get together with some friends and have a “make your own scrub” party! Glow together.

I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.