The Revolution will be PUBLICIZED

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

How can you find peace within a society that constantly flashes images of hate, separation and death? Each click of the mouse or swipes of a finger leads us on a trail of never ending viral videos and local news stories of children brutalizing one another, hate crimes and terrorist attacks.

How can you find peace amongst this? 

In the midst of the Missouri University awakening of self-realization and love, you found yourself witnessing  students unapologetically proclaiming who they were and what they would not tolerate from a university who publicly affirm diversity within its walls.The actions of these in tuned students (which includes the football team) were heard and seen worldwide through every phone, computer and television screen, inspiring students nationwide to stand in solidarity by adorning themselves in black and rallying on their campus grounds.

Amongst the numerous unfaltering collection of activists, hidden deep in Georgia’s south, you will find the black students of Georgia Southern University. For a university that prides itself with being diverse you will find hidden in its closet many incidents of racial discrimination gone undocumented and ignored, leaving its melanin enriched students and those who stand in support feeling unheard and unimportant. So in solidarity, these students gathered together at what used to feel like a student union (Russell Union) to send the message to Missouri and everyone who would listen: “#BlacksAreSouthernToo”. And what a beautiful sight it was to see. 

Not one week after this consensus, social medias within the Georgia Southern University  community was in an uproar.  A Caucasian female student  (who shall remain nameless) who also is employed as a Teaching Assistant took to Facebook to express her distaste for the #BLACKLIVESMATTER movement. Let it be clear, dear reader, that it is imperative to realize that everyone is entitled to their own opinions even if they are biased, racist, prejudice or based off of the lack of knowledge. However, it will NEVER be acceptable to lash out threats toward a village that is determined to survive within an institution that appears to be against its existence every day.

Immediately, with one click of a button this picture was seen and being discussed everywhere on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and even on campus. Springing to action, every student and even alumni to report the incident, calling for the university to take immediate action and that this student and assistant educator to be reprimanded. Within hours, links were passed and shared to report directly to the university, statements from angered student arose and a sit-in demonstration was formulated ,thus giving  birth to the organization of  a stronger front and a very publicized revolt against what was blatantly disrespectful and threatening.

It’s ironic, that this week on our campus is V.A.L.U.E.S. week and before days end the university responded via Twitter to its student body: 

Today, November 17, 2015, students gathered yet again at the student union but this time it was for themselves.  And amongst these students, you saw local and  university news camera crews attempting to capture the essence and importance of this congregation.

I am enamored by the selflessness that I witnessed in the organization these last two days. Though we will always have those spotlight hungry individuals who just do not understand that it’s bigger than being in front of the lens, the turn out was successful. But I worry, dear reader, that you and your comrades will grow complacent with this big but small victory.

The next step is to follow through with repetition. We should not allow only scandals to be the fuel that causes us to stand up for ourselves. We must demand daily that we are respected, seen and heard.  We must not be superficial with our knowledge and see this incident out to its completion. We must respect one another and reach beyond the walls of the student union and bring those who feel as you do into the awareness. 

Realize that all of your organizations have the same ending goal and that together you are one HUGE movement that can leave its legacy on the campus of Georgia Southern University. We must not dwell in the past because we were not there but instead use the struggles and triumphs as guiding lanterns and not blueprints of how we are to make effective change for our current generation. A famous poet, Gil Scot-Heron once said that the “Revolution will not be televised” and for his era he was absolutely correct. However, we are in a new era where we have to create a new foundation for the next 50+ years because in this technical world not only is this new revolution televised, it is publicized and transformed every time you push the refresh button.

Kashia Knight

Georgia Southern

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.