This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

On Friday, September 7, 2018, the public was informed of the death of Mac Miller. Mac Miller (Malcolm James McCormick) is a well-known rapper, singer, and record producer born on January 19, 1992. Early in his career, he signed a record deal with Rostrum-Records in 2010. He recorded his debut album, Blue Slide Park, under this label which released on November 8, 2011. His album his number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart. This accomplishment made his album the first ever independently-distributed debut album to hit the chart since 1995.

Prior to being a rapper, Mac Miller was just Malcolm James McCormick from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He was Jewish and described himself as “the coolest Jewish rapper”. His first introduction to music was piano lessons at the age of six, however; as he grew older he found a love for hip-hop. He looked up to older hip-hop artist such as Lauryn Hill, Big L, Beastie Boys, Outkast, and A Tribe Called Quest. 

For many Mac Miller was a part of their lifestyle through music choice. For others, he was the light at the end of the tunnel. For years, it was known that Mac Miller had his personal battles with substance abuse and mental health issues. In a profile published in Vulture, Mac Miller stated: A lot of times in my life I’ve put this pressure to hold myself to the standard of whatever I thought I was supposed to be, or how I was supposed to be perceived. And it creates pressure.”

At only 26 years old another life was taken to a drug overdose. It is said that Mac Miller died of a drug overdose on September 7, 2018, in his home. Around noon that day he was found unresponsive. A friend called for an “immediate dispatch” for a patient in cardiac arrest, according to the 911 call recording. Once proper authorities arrived Malcolm James McCormick was pronounced dead at the scene. For many fans, his death is a complete surprise. For celebrities, it is a shocker as well. Rappers like Wiz Khalifa, Chance the Rapper, Lil Yachty, and J. Cole have shared their heart felt emotions and empathy for the death of an industry colleague. 

**Below are ten facts you might not have known about the late Mac Miller**

1. He smoked for the first time in fifth grade.
  2. He started rapping at the age of 14.
  3. He aspired to be a singer and song writer prior to becoming a rapper.
  4. He used to sell stolen televisions and purses for money.
  5. He used that money for studio time.
  6. He dated Ariana Grande.
  7. He was a self-taught musician.
  8. Rostrum Records did not want to sign him at first.
  9. He was a chain smoker.
  10. He considered himself an underground rapper.
Nia Jean-Pierre

Georgia Southern

I am an Atlanta native and I am very social once you get to know me. I am an Early-Childhood Education major at Georgia Southern University with a concentration in teaching grades 3-5 with intent of impacting their lives in the most positive way possible. I am often referred to as "not your average girl", I love to shop, hang out with my friends, and get my nails done, however I can play NBA2k on PlayStation all day as well. I thoroughly enjoy weekends at home watching Netflix and relaxing. I am a formal personal blogger with hopes of sharing my personal thoughts with the entire HerCampus community. "A lot of people resist transition and therefore never allow themselves to enjoy who they are. Embrace the change, no matter what it is; once you do, you can learn about the new world you're in and take advantage of it." - Nikki Giovanni
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.