timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Presenting the “finding yourself in college starter pack,” The GSU edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Finding yourself in college can be a little tough. With the pressure of school, work, and yes peer pressure, you’re going to need a few things that will last you throughout your four years here at GSU, so here are just a few things that you should definitely keep handy if you don’t already.

1)  Seasonal friends

Admitting that you have seasonal friends or are even looking for some may sound a little cliche, but hey, you have to do what you have to do. If you’ve ever heard that term “fake it til you make it,” you get my point. Let’s just be honest, I am very open to meeting new people, but I already have a set of people that I can actually call my friends. I can’t speak for others, but realistically, I can’t see nor talk to my friends every day, and let’s face it, we’re in college, no one wants to feel out of place like they don’t have anyone. By all means, I’m not saying go beg for friendships, I’m just saying, while you are participating in all of these organizations and meeting new people, remember these things, (1) enjoy their company, because it may blossom into something special (2) While some have good intentions, don’t be naive to the ones that don’t. Everyone isn’t your friend, I say use them to your benefit until these four years are over. 

2)  A few boxes of Kleenex

Considering that I suffer from depression, and I cried while writing this because I continue to struggle with this myself, I always try to keep one of those mini packs of Kleenex on me. If you haven’t already, you’re going to go through things, lose friends, get depressed, and so much more. Whether you realize it or not, you can never go wrong with a box of Kleenex, not to mention, it’s pollen season, so these are going to become your best friend.

3)  Condoms/Birth Control

Personally, I for one am trying to obtain from sex right now, but sometimes things happen. Most of your parents may want you to wait until you’re married, not get pregnant, or just shy away from the subject period. Just being real, it doesn’t matter what someone else may want if you want to do something you’re going to do it anyway. Just remember whether you’re in a relationship, or if it’s just a random hook up, always protect yourself. It’s sad to say, specifically to my women, most of these guys don’t really care about you, so if you’re going to get something out of it, don’t let it be a baby, in other words, don’t do the Tara, and Amina.

4) That “1” club outfit 

Throughout your college years, you’re going to go to plenty of parties and kickbacks with your friends, so it is always good to keep a good dress handy. You can never go wrong with that one good outfit.

5) The good ole Bible

In the midst of all the sex we have, the clubs we go to and the no good guys we cry over, we’re still human, and we need someone to rely on who we know won’t let us down, we need that sense of peace. Seriously, though, just remember, when you run out of friends, kleenex boxes, club outfits and birth control pills, your bible will always be your end result. 

Francesca Wright

Georgia Southern

Hello my name is Francesca:) 25 years young, Senior, Macon, GA is home for me, Co-host at 9.19 The Buzz My hobbies are reading, writing, singing, MMA(Mixed Martial Arts), music, talking and sleeping(my favorite!) Oan I'm in love with Jesus and Wine! (don't Judge me haha)
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.