This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Thrifting refers to the act of shopping at a thrift store, flea market, garage sale, or a shop of a charitable organization, usually with the intent of finding interesting items at a low price(Defintions, 2019). It’s not only a great way to save money on buying expensive clothing but by purchasing a gently used item, you’re supporting to keep these articles in circulation that would have long gone into a landfill. Thrifting also helps stop the spread of overpopulated waste and prtoecting the enivronment, it’s convenient for the customer but also beneficial for the community; most of the revenue from donations to thrift stores goes towards charities, non-profits, and other assistance-based programs.

With thrift stores being more cost-effective than retail stores, you can buy twice or three times as many items as you want in contrats to other stores. Left-over cash can go towardss gas, groceries, or deposit it into a savings account or university fund. Thrift stores usually restock far more regularly than customary retailers. As new donations are brought in which occurs every day everywhere thrift stores, the items are quickly arranged, labeled and added to the current stock as fast as possible. Though a major box retailer restocks things as they run out, hrift stores include new, extraordinary things constantly. You can actually visit a similar store each day and see something you didn’t see the day before. 

Numerous retailers offer apparel for just a single sex or age, or vigorously support one sexual orientation or age. However, thrift stores offer garments for the whole family, generally arranged by size and quite often, by shading. All your most loved brands from other real retailers will be available without you heading off to different stores. Besides clothing, a variety of toys, artwork, appliances are also offered. 

Most thrift stores work as an expansion of a philanthropic organization with a larger part of the profits raised are sent to help the network somehow or another. Individuals in your community are directly advantaged from each dollar we spend in most thrift stores. The money goes towards individuals in need of  job training, a homeless shelter,  or a children’s group and other unique missions or by donating to a trustworthy charity. Or you can give back to yourself. Nowadays, if you’re someone with an eye for good deals, you can purchase high-quality items at a thrift or consignment shop and sell them for a higher price using an online marketplace or dropshipping shop (Depop, Ebay, Postmates,etc). Plenty of online shoppers are interested in purchasing vintage clothes or unique décor items that has  been sourced from a thrift shop.

So, If you’re looking for a way to save money on items and want that money to go back into the community, consider shopping at your local thrift store! Not only do your purchases impact the workers, but it gets passed on to directly impact your community programs and services. 

Jacquelyn Medley

Georgia Southern '22

Jacquelyn Medley is an 18 year old freshman attending Georgia Southern University. She is currently majoring in Public Relations with a minor in graphic design. She enjoys coffee, 80s dramas, and would love to live in Paris!
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.