Our Passion Problem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

“The New York Post calls us ‘The worst generation’.” One of the first of many lines and quotes negatively branding Generation Y, the millennials, in a Harvard business article about our generation’s “passion problem”.

As a student, I love and appreciate the opportunity to go college. With that being said, I am big advocator for going to school, but go for something you ACTUALLY want to do. I’ve heard of way too many instances of real adults (lol) who went to school for x amount of years at x university and received a “reputable” degree just to feel miserable at their job for the rest of their life. Is that really the ideal future? Are we all really expected pursue careers based solely on their superficial value?

It’s no secret that those who lived before us believe we’re lazy, incompetent, and entitled. And while there may be a lot of people that fit those characteristics, in our generation and the ones before us, there are so many incredible people on this campus and colleges all over that are pushing to break the boundaries and prove the stereotypes wrong.

Don’t get me wrong finding a career that is allows you to be self-sustaining is important, but in order to live a fulfilling life there needs to be a balance. The way I see it, this is the most open minded, technologically advanced, confident, and connected generation. Contrary to the article, we are the best generation and as long as incorporate hard work and persistence pursuing your interests isn’t a bad thing.

Do me a huge favor Generation Y. Don’t lose your passion.

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.

Maya Angelou

19 Georgia Southern Junior Graphic Design Major I aspire to be an experiencer
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.