This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Although some people are hesitant to change, change can bring a positive outlook to once gloomy situations. As we are all aware, Fritz is no longer with our great football team *inserts dramatic crying face*. It honestly came at what most considered the worst time imaginable. We went from an undefeated season last year, to losing against the fake GSU, all to end the season with our first bowl game. Luckily, in true Eagle spirit, Dell McGee stepped up and led the team to a 58-27 victory over Bowling Green at the Go Daddy Bowl Game. 

*wait… the party isn’t over*

*Okay…….. Now we’re done with our victory dance*

Luckily, the change doesn’t end there. Georgia Southern not only got a new coach but soon Paulson Stadium will also get a new look. 

The GSU football field is getting new turf. Shaw Sports Turf will begin the project February 8th and according to AD Tom Kleinlein, it should wrap up around mid-April. The Eagles will get to use the new field on September 3, 2016, against Savannah State.

Now, let’s hear the good, the bad, and the ugly… 

After speaking with other athletes most feel like the turf has good benefits but potentially threatening risks! Overall, turf is known to be cheaper and requires less maintenance, which is the reason a great number of universities are choosing to redo their fields. For players, they can recover faster on grass than turf. Some players have even said that they run faster on turf versus regular stadium grass.

On the other hand, the rubber beads that are on the turf cause cancer after being exposed to a person for a long time. Whoops that doesn’t sound too good!!

It is also been said that its more common for an ACL injury on turf than it is on grass… Lord forbid.

After all, let’s face it if you’ve been here longer than 3 years you should be accustomed to the never-ending changes in Statesboro.

Ayanna Gant

Georgia Southern

Hi! I am Ayanna and I am the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Georgia Southern. I am a junior Public Relations major with a minor in Marketing. I hope to one day pursue a career in the sports and entertainment field of public relations!