New Year, Better Me: Rewarding Practices to Adapt This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

For most of us, a new semester welcomes a fresh start to better ourselves physically, mentally and academically.

Just to wake up the mindset we gathered at the start of the new year, here are a few things to try out to make this year rewarding:

Join an Organization, or Two. There are tons of active organizations on campus to fulfill every passion, talent or interest of yours. What better way is there to do something you enjoy while meeting people who share similar interests? Being more active on campus can help with your professionalism, confidence and help you to break free from your self-constructed shell.

Journal. Although I am a writer at heart, I never journal as much as I should have. I made it a goal to write a journal entry every day this year. Journaling is the perfect outlet to put yourself on paper. You don’t have to go out and buy a fancy journal either; a simple spiral notebook will work just as good. You may have no idea where to start, but there are numerous topics to choose from to make journaling just as rewarding and therapeutic. Reflect on your day, whether it was good or bad. What made you upset, and why? What made you smile today? Write down your goals, blessings and little things you’re thankful for. Even if you don’t like writing or don’t think you’re good at it, do it! This is something to do for you without having to worry about judgment.

Fill up your agenda before the week starts. Every Sunday, I plan and write out what I will do for each day of the upcoming week. Whether it is assignments, chores, things to handle for my organizations or personal things I need to do for myself, I write it all in my agenda. This helps me to be as productive as possible and I am less likely to forget to do something. There is also no better feeling than crossing things off when they are accomplished.

Read More. Gluing yourself to a good book is an unmatched feeling. It’s a great way to unwind and give yourself a break between classes. Reading helps with your creativity, your thinking and broadens your vocabulary. Make it a goal to finish at least one book a month and you won’t regret it.

Pay more visits to the gym you’re paying for. Everyone has fitness goals and as college students we are already paying for access to a gym. We have everything we need to make those goals reality. Working out is another option to relieve stress and give yourself a break.

Do something different every day. Take a walk. Have lunch or coffee with a friend. Try a different hairstyle. Study in a different area. Cook something new for dinner. Try a face mask. Spark a conversation with a stranger. Take up new opportunities.

Learn to be selfish. Create healthy boundaries. Set time aside to do nothing. Put your phone on do not disturb and relax for once. There is nothing wrong with being selfish when it comes to catering to yourself, your needs and your space. No matter what you choose to take on this semester, or this year, do not forget about you.

I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.