This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

As we approach Black History Month, we are reminded to step back to really take a look at how far we have come (or how much more we still have to go) on the concept of our freedom. The standards of beauty are definitely a restricting concept that African American women are breaking and defining for themselves. The most poignant definition of this comes from the rising popularity of the return to our roots, our natural hair.

It’s so funny how we’ve defined the halt in chemically processing our hair as “going natural”, when really we’re returning to the most raw version of ourselves. In doing so, our hair has become a radical statement, a topic of controversy, and a celebration of the authentic beauty of black women.

With the celebration of our hair has come the acceptance of our hairstyles and our hair texture, though it comes with some adversity. Though it is 2018, many black women are faced with criticism from some employers and even their loved ones. I know when I first went natural, I was the first one to do so in my family, and my mom and sister were quite surprised to see me want to embrace my “new growth”. I had to be firm in my decision to go natural, and though my family may have not been head over heels for it, I had loads of support from my friends and classmates at school and even strangers! Eventually, my family even joined me in going natural, and today my mom, sister, and grandma are all newly natural and embracing the most authentic versions of themselves.

Having relaxed hair seems so uncommon, but be reminded that for most of us, it remains a huge part of our lives that shaped and moved us in some way and will always be nostalgic. I am incredibly thankful to be in a time where we can embrace our kinks and curls with pride! I’m incredibly in love with my natural hair.

LaVonna Wright

Georgia Southern

LaVonna is a Junior at Georgia Southern University. She is currently pursuing a major in English Literature with a minor in Religious Studies. LaVonna worked as a writer for the 2017-2018 school year, and is now the editor for the 2018-2019 school year. She loves all of the softer things in life and aspires to use her passion for written word to help others become the best version of themselves. Check out her personal blog: lavonnawrites.com or follow her on Instagram @_lwright "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God’s handwriting." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.