Natural Hair and the Transition… EMBRACE it, LOVE it, MANAGE it!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Black hair, some say it’s a burden and others say it’s a blessing. It can be both. More of a blessing than a burden if you know how to manage it. Whether you have kinky curls or neat naps you should embrace it all.

It took me a very long time to love my own natural hair. I got my first perm in the second grade… let’s just say that was pure hell. I hated perms with a passion they were insanely unreasonable and the only reason I got one was because my mom couldn’t manage to do my natural hair. I could not bear the burning, it felt like my head was on fire no matter how much base my hairstylist used. I still give my mom the side eye to this day for making me get perms but, that’s neither here nor there. My hair was permed from the second grade all the way into the seventh. By the time seventh grade came around my hair was so-called “permanently damaged” from all the years of the devil’s “creamy crack”. At that point, I knew I had to take matters into my own hands and leave the guidance of my mother. I was young and terrified of the “Big Chop” so I did the slow transition. Now let’s be honest about the slow transition… no, it isn’t easy but, it is manageable and it does take a  lot of patience. I have tried a lot of different products, many some I truly loved and others not so much. (Blog on hair products and natural hair tips coming soon!) Since then my hair has grown a lot, however, just two months ago I cut off all of my natural hair (about shoulder length) and I am now rocking a short natural cut. I must be honest I like my short natural hair better than my “shoulder length” natural hair but, to each her own. Whether you wear your hair short, long, colored, curly, kinky, twist-outs, braid-outs, bantu knots, or rocking a boy cut EMBRACE, LOVE, and learn to MANAGE your natural hair!

Nia Jean-Pierre

Georgia Southern

I am an Atlanta native and I am very social once you get to know me. I am an Early-Childhood Education major at Georgia Southern University with a concentration in teaching grades 3-5 with intent of impacting their lives in the most positive way possible. I am often referred to as "not your average girl", I love to shop, hang out with my friends, and get my nails done, however I can play NBA2k on PlayStation all day as well. I thoroughly enjoy weekends at home watching Netflix and relaxing. I am a formal personal blogger with hopes of sharing my personal thoughts with the entire HerCampus community. "A lot of people resist transition and therefore never allow themselves to enjoy who they are. Embrace the change, no matter what it is; once you do, you can learn about the new world you're in and take advantage of it." - Nikki Giovanni
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.