National Poetry Day: Three Women Who Remind Us of the Poetry in All of Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Apparently, September 28th was National Poetry Day, and although there seems to be a day for just about anything lately, as an English major I definitely pay homage to the day dedicated to one of my favorite genres of literature. Everyday is National Poetry Day to me!

Here are some of my favorite female literary leaders taking my world of poetry by storm:  

M A D I S E N   K U H N

Photos courtesy of @madisenkuhn

Madisen Kuhn has been one of my favorite writing women since 10th grade (She was the author behind my senior quote!!). Her poems took off on the social media site Tumblr, and since then she has become even more well-rounded. She’s the author of Eighteen Years, and is currently a visual arts student. She uses her illustrations in addition to her words to convey sentiments often about love and nostalgia.

L A N G  L E A V

Photos courtesy of @langleav

Lang Leav’s combines wistful poems of love juxtaposed to heavy emotions such as sadness to delicate line drawings within her books. She is an internationally bestselling author of Lullabies, Love and Misadventures, and Sad Girls.I strongly suggest reading her work for a cathartic crying session in your bed during a thunderstorm.

N A Y Y I R A H   W A H E E D

Photos courtesy of @nayyirah.waheed

Nayyirah Waheed is a U.S. based author who’s shrouded in mystery. She’s the author of Salt and Nejma. Not much is known about her, but rather than “short and sweet” her succinct poems pack a powerful punch, often dealing with matters of feminism, identity, immigration, and self-love. I highly suggest following her on Instagram for a daily dose of #woke words.

These three literary ladies remind me daily of the poetry in myself, in my experiences, in the world and it’s beauty. That’s precisely why poetry is one of my favorite genres. I hope that perhaps you can follow one of these women and their lovely words on Instagram (and maybe even like poetry after this.. ).

Happy Poem Reading!

LaVonna Wright

Georgia Southern

LaVonna is a Junior at Georgia Southern University. She is currently pursuing a major in English Literature with a minor in Religious Studies. LaVonna worked as a writer for the 2017-2018 school year, and is now the editor for the 2018-2019 school year. She loves all of the softer things in life and aspires to use her passion for written word to help others become the best version of themselves. Check out her personal blog: lavonnawrites.com or follow her on Instagram @_lwright "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God’s handwriting." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.