Nappily Ever After

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

‘Nappily Ever After’ is a new Netflix original movie about Violet, a woman who has been perfect her whole life. Perfect job, perfect relationship, and most importantly, perfect hair. Ever since Violet was a little girl, her mother had instilled in her the values and importance of appearance. She was used to the routine of having her hair straightened by her mother every Sunday. Having natural or “unruly” was unacceptable for her mother and in turn, Violet became obsessed with the perfection of her appearance.

She was dating Clint, a doctor, who Violet thought was going to propose to her and couldn’t believe it when he said he didn’t want to marry her. After this happens she goes on an angry and drunken rage and cuts all of her hair off. She then learns to love her imperfections and embrace her natural beauty.

As young black girls, most of us were always taught that we weren’t allowed to leave the house without our hair being done and our clothes looking spiffy. This is the case in a lot of black households. I think this movie provided an excellent message to black women, young and old. It’s okay and necessary to embrace your natural.

I, myself, just did a big chop recently and in all honesty, it’s boosted my confidence through the roof. I had a head full of long and thick, curly hair before I cut it off, so it was a huge leap but I’m so glad I did it. I use my hair to express myself, so I change it up very often but my TWA (teenie weenie afro) has got to be my favorite look thus far.

A lot of black women would rather wear weaves and wigs or get perms and relaxers than to wear their natural hair. (Not to knock wigs and weaves because I have a million of them myself.) This is especially the case when that natural hair is super tight and coily. The reasoning is always that natural hair is “too hard to maintain.” There’s also the stigma that natural hair isn’t “professional.” I completely disagree.

Natural hair in the workplace should be accepted and embraced just the same as weaves and straight hair. It definitely can be a piece of work, but natural hair is so beautiful and versatile. I think once you take the time to actually learn your hair and what it likes, it becomes a thousand times easier to deal with.

Jorden Allen

Georgia Southern '21

Jorden is a sophomore journalism major at Georgia Southern University. She grew up in Atlanta, GA and enjoys sleeping, eating and watching football! #southernneverstate #hailsouthern #gata
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.