The Mysteries at GSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Everyone knows the stories that are told in the Bible, of how God created the world and the angels. But you’ve never seen it told like this. Where God has a cherry picker and all the actors of simple workmen. There’s dancing, singing, a live band, and even some death.

The mystery cycles cover parts of the bible. The part that is being put to production here at Georgia Southern is the Creation. This covers all the high points from the start of the world all the way to the birth of Jesus.

I asked the director, Lisa Abbot, why she chose this play to do. “Because I don’t think we have many opportunities to enjoy medieval theatre. I believe this is also a source for all. It’s a modern adaptation and allows the students to use a form they haven’t done before. Also, it’s gonna be fun.”

I also got to talk to some of the cast about what they think about the play:

“This play is fabulous and the people are fabulous and I’m so happy to join the Georgia Southern crew and to make such great art!”

“This play is like a giant milkshake, there are lots of ingredients, you blend it all together to make it sweet and I hope it brings all the boys to the yard!”

“It’s admittedly more fun than reading the actual bible.”

“This play is visually enticing.”

About playing Mary: “Every time I play a character it becomes an exploratory process. I had to learn to be really soft. It’s really different playing Mary than Aphrodite. It’s like hmm . . . how do I do that.”

About playing King Herod: “Herod’s my favorite character. It’s nice to play a dark character. It’s a big refresher from playing Adam. When playing characters like God and Herod, it’s really hard not to let the ego get to your head.”

If these quotes aren’t enough to get you excited about the play, I don’t know what is. There’s going to be lots of interaction between actors, crew, and audience. It’ll be a sight to see. The show starts Wednesday, November 11, 2015, through November 18, 2015, at 7 PM with a Sunday matinee at 2 PM. I would get those tickets fast because this is going to be a big show!

Samantha Harvey

Georgia Southern

I was born in New York. I go to Georgia Southern University. I love to write and read.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.