self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

Maintaining Sanity Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

How much longer will social distancing last? When will I be able to return back to work or school? Could a second outbreak occur? Will our world ever be the same again?

Hero image appropriate for article on Unhealthy Relatioships - image of a question mark
Photo by Emily Morter on Unsplash

These are questions we’re all asking or contemplating.

The worldwide outbreak of coronavirus has now turned into one of the worst pandemics in history. Accepting the reality that we’re all presently experiencing is surreal.

All of us are a combination of emotions and feelings right now; possibly unhappy, stressed, ill, fearful, irritated, uncertain, bored, anxious, sad, etc.

The spread of coronavirus is rapid and ongoing. Its effects are unpleasant and potentially fatal. The human race is facing what you could consider a microscopic giant. Losing control in circumstances like this is not an option. Communities, organizations, states, and countries worldwide are coming together and working diligently to overcome COVID-19.

Another question we’re all likely wondering is “How do I stay sane amid this pandemic?”

Well, studies have shown that nature can positively impact our wellbeing. Go outdoors and enjoy the essence of nature. Become mindful of your five senses. Reflect upon the marvelous creations around you. Feel the warmth of the Sun, see the various insects, hear the birds’ chirp & tree branches sway, taste the air, and touch the greenery. Breathe in and out, soaking it all in.

girl running through field
Sasha Freemind

If you’re reading this, then that indicates you are alive and in a conscious state. That alone is worthy of thanks! Voicing your gratitude and stating affirmations will not only brighten your mood and help ground yourself but also plant seeds of goodness into the universe.

Here are several statements of gratitude and affirmations:

I am grateful for my life.

I am thankful for food, clothing, shelter, loved ones, and adequate healthcare.

My body is in a state of optimum health.

I am free from illness, sickness, and disease.

The future of my world is brighter.

Many of us college students (who lived in on-campus residency) experienced mandatory move-out. The entire moving-out process was already tiresome, inconveniencing, and saddening. The actual hard part was to come – the adjustment back into your parent(s) or guardians’ home. For some students, that statement is enough to make them lose sanity. 

Let’s all just have a woosah moment. Switching from the independent life you created & became accustomed to now to being dependent and under rule (to an extent) again, is bound to be a test. 

To avoid losing your marbles, properly communicate and come to an understanding about specific matters (i.e. boundaries, expectations), respect your new house rules, be grateful, help whenever/wherever you can, and importantly make the most of your time there.

Of course, it is a big adjustment. Take it day by day. Be sure to make the best out of it.

As humans, we are by nature social beings. It’s only a matter of time before the unenviable effects of necessary social distancing and quarantining present themselves. If you’re like me, you’re already feeling a little stir-crazy.

This is sure to be a tedious couple of months. At the moment, we aren’t able to go really anywhere. No mall, beach, theatre, or amusement park. Spring break is definitely canceled. Hopefully, summer won’t be. We are subjected to the proximity of our homes. So, we have to make the best of it. 

Occupying yourself with constructive tasks is a great way to pass by time while stimulating your mind and physical. You could exercise, dance, cook new recipes, spring clean, pamper yourself, learn a skill, make art/craft, or read – just to name a few ideas.

woman oil painting on canvas
Photo by Jade Stephens on Unsplash

Recall that old hobby you discontinued or talent you’re allowing to deteriorate? This is a good time to practice it! You can even have family bonding activities (i.e. game night or reminisce while looking through old photos).

It is the bitter truth none of us want to think about. Fatalities of COVID-19 patients are arising. Unfortunately, some of us have already experienced the loss of a loved one or associate due the coronavirus. It’s a difficult time for us all especially those grieving while ill/sick themselves. 

Most simply want to be surrounded by loved ones but cannot due to social distancing/quarantine. I hope you don’t but if you do find yourself grieving with a loss, inform your professor, pray/meditate, reflect upon the good things, rest, also express your emotion through a positive outlet. Our immune system is weakened during prolonged periods of stress and sadness. Try not to stay down for too long if you can help it. You have to stay healthy. Better days will come. Remain strong. Have faith. 

It will be a challenge to continue complying with officials’ orders/suggestions as time progresses causing people to experience the psychological and physical effects of restraint. Some may feel certain established measures seem unnecessary or inconveniencing. Trust in our political leaders and health professionals’ expertise. Rest assured that they are working for what is in the best interest of us, the people.

Although no person can say exactly what is to come in the future, all we can do is continue persevering together through this pandemic with hope better times are near.

It is my hope you found my suggestions helpful. Stay healthy, stay sane.

Ciara Childs

Georgia Southern '23

Ciara Childs, CPhT is a Political Science undergraduate student at Georgia Southern University. She is a native of Albany, Georgia. Her hobbies include traveling, learning, writing, cooking, and meditating. Ciara's philosophy of life would be best described by Maya Angelou's quote "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.