This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

As both an avid reader and writer, you’ll hardly ever find me without a book in my hand. Soon I’ll be embarking on my own journey in becoming published. As of now, I’ve created my own Instagram page for sharing my current reads as well as my own work. While I am still in the process of building this page up, I can give you all a sneak peek into one of my many book wishlists.

1. A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler 

Published in 2010, A Blue So Dark is a young adult fiction standalone. Schindler tells a striking story of fifteen-year-old, Aura Ambrose. Aura is trying to suffocate her artistic talent as she watches her own creative mother constantly suffer from schizophrenia. Readers are amazed about how stimulating this story is, one person even describing the story to have, “picked-me-up-and-hurtled-me-across-the-room” (Goodreads).

1. The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett

Published June of this year, this story follows two twin sisters, born in the segregated South. However, as they fight their way out, life separates them into completely different circumstances. Nevertheless, these twins are forever connected as fate brings them together once again through their own daughters. The Vanishing Half has been nominated for the National Book Award. One reader comments “It’s a poignant and lovely story that takes you through several lifetimes with empathy and hope.” (Goodreads)

1. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier 

Originally published in 1938, Rebbeca lives on to tell the fictional horror story of a young unknown woman who hastily marries a wealthy widower, Maxim. She quickly finds that he and his household is “haunted” by the memories of Maxim’s late wife, Rebecca, and this unknown woman is forced to survive the isolation and the cruelty of the household. After this story was originally published, it sold over 2.8 million copies and was adapted into a movie that was rewarded by The Academy for Best Picture in 1940. (Barnes & Noble)

For more updates on my book wishlists, current reads, and even my own work, I hope you’ll give my Instagram page: @read.withlex or my Likewise account: @alexiii a follow! Thank you!

Alexis Badger

Georgia Southern '22

Hello everyone! My name is Alexis Badger and I am currently a senior at Georgia Southern University studying Writing & Linguistics with a minor in Multimedia Journalism. During my free time, I enjoy reading and posting on my reading blog (IG: @readwith.lex). After graduation, I hope to work on publishing my own work.
Jorden Allen

Georgia Southern '21

Jorden is a sophomore journalism major at Georgia Southern University. She grew up in Atlanta, GA and enjoys sleeping, eating and watching football! #southernneverstate #hailsouthern #gata