timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Knowing your Spirit; Patience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Patience.

Patience is defined as “the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.”

We live in a day and age where everything is at our fingertips; instant. Everything happens so quick to the point where when there are delays in our everyday request, we become impatient. We all know the feeling of being on our phones and the wifi/data stops working. We become instantly irritated. We don’t even realize that 99% of the time the internet is working and when it stops for a split second we freak out. Were kind of spoiled in a sense. Our generation does not know patience. For some reason we always feel on edge or feel like everything has to happen now. It reflects in everything we do. Our phones do everything instantly. Our food is served to us in a instant, thanks to fast food. Our cars get us places instantly. We don’t have to mail letters, we send a text and get an instant response. Our minds have gotten so used to this that when we don’t get an instant reply, we become annoyed.

You have to be patient with yourself, others and with life. Impatience reflects in our relationships. Our need for everything to be instant rubs off on people and we expect their presence to be constant. When were making decisions so quick were not giving ourselves a chance to make clear decisions; slow down. Patience is important for exactly that reason. Having more time to think before making decisions guarantees better results and happier life; and that’s a proven fact. Whenever I find that I am rushing and I feel hectic I have to take a step back, because that’s not even me. I am naturally a patient person and I observe impatience in others everyday. Sometimes I get caught up in my schedule or even find myself trying to accommodate with the schedules of others and it causes a disrupt in my peace. We don’t live in a perfect world… practice patience.

Being patient with yourself if just as important. When I say this I mean being patient with yourself spiritually and emotionally. Sometimes I find myself feeling down and I want to instantly feel better; which is unrealistic. You have to find out why you’re feeling off first of all. You have to learn your emotions and that definitely takes patience. It’s so easy to get frustrated with ourselves when we are not where we want to be. I know that sometimes I feel like I am not where I need to be in life and that instantly makes me feel impatient/anxious because I start to over think and obsess about why I am not here or there in life. That’s not healthy though and that’s something I’m learning to let go. I saw a post on instagram a couple days ago that read  

“Stop being jealous of people in their winning season. You don’t know what they lost in their losing season.”

In the end it all comes down to patience. Wait. Everything you’re praying for is on its way. Everything will work out the way it’s supposed to. Stop expecting everything you want out of life to be instant. Did Oprah become as rich as she is overnight? Or in a week? Or even a month? A year? Nope. So relax and take life day by day. Do what you can today and you will reap the benefits in due time. Everything you’re worrying about will work out. Stop stressing about things that are out of your control. Be at peace with today. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow has yet to come. Enjoy this day and be in the moment, not ahead or behind.

Peace and love always,

Simone.

Simone Sanders

Georgia Southern '21

I am a writer for HC at Georgia Southern University.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.