matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Kanye West Visits President Donald Trump and Has All of America Questioning His Sanity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Kanye Omari West has officially lost his mind.

On Thursday, October 11th, Kanye West decided to make a visit to the Oval Office in order to speak with Donald Trump about the reparations needed in Chicago, stop-and-frisk, police brutality, the prison system and racism. However, the visit quickly turned into a disastrous derision. Kanye has, once again, failed us all.

After his visit with Trump, America is questioning Kanye’s sanity.

Endless red flags were drawn as Kanye spoke to Trump, but the alarm finally went off when he explained his issue with Hillary’s campaign. He said, “you know, I love Hillary. I love everyone, right? But the campaign “I’m with her” just didn’t make me feel, as a guy, that didn’t get to see my dad all the time — like a guy that could play catch with his son.” Does no one see the irony behind the fact that a movement intended to empower women and make history caused a man to question his own masculinity. It’s almost as if he feels like empowering women weakens the man.

Kanye even suggested that we abolish the 13th Amendment! I’m sorry, WHAT? Oh, and Kanye’s ignorance does not stop there. He then continues to go on about how police brutality is bad, but they are in a position of power which forces them to act forcefully, and black people have to “take responsibility for what we’re doing.” Let’s not forget to mention that Kanye said he believes the issue with gun control isn’t the fact that control, in general, is needed. He says, “Illegal guns is the problem, not legal guns. We have the right to bear arms.” I find this remark ignorant and disturbing considering the fact, just recently, a Michigan man shot at a black teen for simply being on his porch in seek of direction. But if you ask Kanye, that was his right. Right?

One reporter finally decided to address the elephant in the room. He brings up a statement Kanye made about President Bush not caring about black people. Then, he says, “you’ve heard some people say that about this President. How do you respond to that? What do you make of that?” He response to this question by avoiding it all together. Instead, he emphasizes how it’s important for us to care about all people, and then he says the remarks he made about Bush so long ago were ignorant in a sense. He says, “I was very emotional, and I was programmed to think from a victimized mentality. A welfare mentality.” Kanye blames this mentality he says all black people possess on the liberal party. He accused liberals of controlling the minds of African Americans by focusing on racism. He emphasizes that “the liberal would try to control a black person through the concept of racism, because they know that we are very proud, emotional people.” The issue with this allegation is that it suggest that racism isn’t a real problem. It’s saying, in other words, that racism is just a political scare tactic used to control the minds of those who are victimized by it. It gives less weight and existence to this issue all together. No, we shouldn’t allow racism or a racist to control our mindset, opinions, views, or decisions, but we also shouldn’t ignore the fact that in the 21st century racism still exist and MUST be addressed. 

Kanye’s visit to the white house has society, social media, and celebrities in an uproar. Even rapper T.I. took the time out to express how the meeting was “the most repulsive, disgraceful, embarrassing act of desperation & auctioning off of one’s soul to gain power [he’s] ever seen.”

I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again. Kanye West has failed us once again.

Da'Jia Daniel

Georgia Southern '22

Da'Jia is a Public Health major at Georgia Southern University who believes in the power of voice. As a heavy activist, she believes in speaking up for whatever you are passionate about and having pride in doing just that. Her favorite activities include writing, playing the violin, and spending time with her friends and family. She values all the connections she makes throughout life, good and bad.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.