It’s Time To Be Inspected

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

“I think they think that I am someone else,” – Khlestakov

The Georgia Southern Theatre Department is ending its Fall Season with a bang. A comedic bang. Nicholas Newell takes on his first large production here at Georgia Southern with “The Government Inspector”, a Russian farce written by Nikolai Gogol. The show is being performed in the Black Box theatre inside the Center for Art and Theatre – the CAT for short. The show begins at 7:30 every night and tickets are $5 for students and $10 for general admissions.

The Government Inspector is a satirical comedy that references government corruption at its finest. It was originally written in 1836 and then revised in 1842. Since then is has been performed a number of times over the years and it has not lost its timeless comedy. It’s a play in which the audience finds themselves questioning who’s playing whom?

The play features a cast of roughly 25 students. They all have bright vibrant characters with hilarious one-liners that had people coming back to see the play more than once. They all float around the main character, a lowly civil servant that everyone mistakes to be a high powered government inspector.

“I like how funny it is. It’s not the fact that the lines are just funny, but that you can have fun with it. I like live theatre a lot and I really like live comedic theatre. I liked how all of the characters pretty much had a hidden agenda. No one was perfect. It was fun.” – Chryssie Lewis (Dobchinsky).

You’ll laugh. You’ll gasp. This play will have you so invested in the characters, you’ll be startled when intermission happens.

And you’ll never guess who the government inspector really is.

Samantha Harvey

Georgia Southern

I was born in New York. I go to Georgia Southern University. I love to write and read.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.