International Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Georgia Southern held its first International Fashion Show, which showcased the different clothing and styles from Asia, Africa, Middle East, America, South America, and Europe. Along with the fashion show, they had a bazaar to showcases the different foods around the world. The proposal to do this event came from a Graduate Assistant for Center of International Studies, Assana Magagi-Alio.

Magagi-Alio wanted to show the diversity of different types of clothing that is worn around the world and the aesthetic appeal of it. For example in the Middle East, they wear exotic beautiful clothing even though it looks like it’s supposed to be extremely conservative from a western point of view.

At GSU, we have enrollment from 89 countries and the international students that come from those countries bring their own traditional clothing, however they don’t have the opportunity to showcase them. This fashion show gave the international student at GSU an opportunity to display their traditional clothing on the runway. Besides getting their clothing for the fashion show from the international student, the Korean Mission Church and designers from Atlanta provided them with clothing.

At the fashion show not only was the clothing and food diverse, but also the models, which included American student and international student. Some of the international students came from Japan, South Korea, and the islands.

As an attendee at the fashion show, I can definitely say it was amazing, the clothing was beautiful, the music was awesome, and the food was delicious. I also enjoyed the fact that GSU students did the make-up, photography, and music.

The International Fashion Show and Bazaar not only show the diverse clothing and food around the world, but it also showed the students the diversity of GSU. With events like these, our perspective on the world will definitely grow.  

For those who couldn’t come to the fashion show don’t worry, the Center of International Studies are planning to do this again next year.

Blanche Lichtenbourgh

Georgia Southern

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.