This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Throughout my 20 years of living, one thing I can say I’ve learned is that people come and go. Best friends, boyfriends, or girlfriends. Your life is almost like a revolving door for people to come and go as they please. Sometimes when certain people walk out of your life you feel nothing. Other times when people you genuinely cared about leave it hurts the deepest part of your heart. What I have taken from these experiences is that yes people come and go, but usually depending on how easily they left they most likely weren’t meant to be there too long. It’s always hard to let someone go if you have become accustomed to them or grew a liking for them but if the relationship or friendship is over then it’s just over, and there’s no need to try and keep them around. With that being said, here’s 5 ways to help cope with you the loss of any relationship.

1. Delete all memories- It’s never easy to let someone go, but the most important thing to do when trying to is deleting all photos, videos, messages anything that’ll remind you of that person.
  2. Find a new hobby- It’s not unusual to have shared many of the same hobbies with said person that’s exiting your life, so finding new hobbies can help get over him/her. Hobbies like going to the gym, swimming, anything that involves outdoors is always fun.
  3. Make New Friends- Meeting new people is always exciting. Sometimes you’ll run into people that are going through the same thing as you. Hopefully you’ll come across a lifetime friend.
  4. Focus on School/Work- Sometimes certain people need to leave your life in order for you to focus on what’s more important. Take this time to yourself to excel I school or at work.
  5. Explore- Finally take this time to find yourself, find out what you like to do.

It’s never hard letting someone go or watching someone important leave your life, however it happens. It’s just a part of life. Instead of letting it take over in a negative way, try and turn it into something positive. Just remember life goes on and if it’s meant to be that person will come back.

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.