diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Become A Morning Person, From Someone Who Wasn’t Always a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I always wanted to be a “morning person.” That is, until I realized morning was defined as anytime before 12 p.m., then I wanted to be a “Afternoon-ish” person. But, when I got to college, I realized that I was going to have to get used to getting up early to make it to my 8:00 a.m. classes and make the most of the day. So, here are my tips for you so that next time your alarm comes on you’ll be less likely to hit snooze!

1. Plan Ahead

One of the hardest parts about getting up, can be actually doing stuff once you’re up so early. To eliminate some of the tasks you have to complete, plan ahead! Whether it be planning your outfit or preparing your planner, every step you have already done the night before is one less thing you have to do in the morning!

2. Find a reason that makes getting up early worth it

When I was in middle school, some of my classmates and I would pick a day that we would all wear dresses to school. Though it was such a small idea, if we agreed to wear dresses on Tuesday, I would spend all Monday night planning the dress I would wear and feeling excited about the next day to come so I could wear it. If you have something to be excited about, getting up early can be something you look forward to. So, whether it be trying a new breakfast item from Chick fil a, or wearing your favorite outfit, find something that makes you excited about the day to come and you’ll want to get up early! 

3. Stay consistent

The process of becoming a morning person starts before the morning ever comes. By consistently getting ready to sleep early, your body will naturally want to wind down by that time. Then, you will naturally start getting up earlier as well because you have got enough sleep. Try to set an early time to go to bed and stick to it! 

4. Give yourself more time

By setting your alarm a little earlier than you planned to, you will be able to take a few minutes to do stuff that will make you feel more prepared to face the early morning. Whether it be scrolling on Twitter or reading, spending time doing something else before you must get up can give you time to adjust to being up early and feel less tired. 

5. Wash your face!

In order to go wash your face you have already accomplished a big step, which is getting out of the bed and not hitting snooze. Then, if you’re still feeling groggy, when cold water hits your face, you’ll definitely be more energized and prepared to start your day right away!

Challenge yourself to try at least one of these tips and you’ll be on your way to becoming a morning person!

Jasmine Alexander

Georgia Southern '23

Georgia Southern University writer.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.