Homecoming Queen and King

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Before we featured our new Duchess and Duke, but it is time for the real royalty to please stand up! That is right we have interviews with Her Majesty and His Royal Highness!

Starting with Ms. Brooklyn Smith Her Majesty the Homecoming Queen of 2014!

HerCampus: What organizations are you involved with?

Brooklyn Smith: I am a fourth-year member of Phi Mu Sorority at GSU

HC: What is your major and what do you want to do with it?

BS: I am a public relations major.  I eventually want to go into advertising or event planning, but I am open to trying any job in PR after graduation. 

HC: What is your most memorable moment at GSU?

BS: Being crowned Georgia Southern’s 2014 Homecoming Queen (if you are doing it in present time)

-Being nominated to represent Phi Mu as their 2014 Homecoming Representative (if you are asking pre-homecoming results)

HC: Where are you from?

BS: I was born and raised in Thomasville, Georgia 

HC: Why are you running?

BS: All too often I feel like Homecoming Queen is used as a bragging right for organizations and that their title starts and ends the night of the homecoming game. I am running because I would like to change that. If someone is given the honor to represent an entire university I believe that they should be willing to give back year-round by showing their face and attending campus events and giving back by helping with different events in the community. 

HC: Who is your role model and why?

BS: My parents are my role models because they have always led by example. They are two of the most selfless, giving, and thoughtful people I know. No matter what I chose to do or participate in, they have been my biggest fans and supporters. They have taught me to be strong, polite, and genuine. My parents have always encouraged me to do what I want and follow my heart, regardless of others opinions, influence what goals I set for myself. 

HC: What would your advice be to freshman girls?

BS: You are about to start the best years of your life, enjoy every moment of it. Step out of your comfort zone, go to things that usually you wouldn’t, make friends with people that usually you wouldn’t, and get involved with as many clubs and organizations as you can. Go to all of the events on campus and take advantage of all of the resources this University offers you, the more you put in the more you will get out of GSU. Never take your time at GSU for granted; it will fly by and be too soon to be over. 

And last but not least Mr. Errol Spence our new Homecoming King!

ES: I am the SGA Vice-President of Academic Affairs, member of Model United Nations, Vice-President of Political Science club.

ES: Political Science, my dream is to be a politician, I am thinking about exploring more options. I am looking for a career where I  help others and can make an impact. I am right now looking at being an investigations agent for immigration.

ES: I would say winning the Talon leadership award last year, being able to stand with the other recipients was really humbling.

HC: Where are you from?

ES: Most people don’t know this, but I am originally from Brooklyn, NY, but I lived in Suwanee for a few years.

HC: Why are you running?

ES: My organization nominated me after I won Duke. I really do it because I am passionate about my organization and I want to spread awareness and show off our organization. Be good a representative.

HC: Who is your role model and why?

ES: My grandma, not any celebrity, because she successfully she started her own business. She never went to school and came from Jamaica, she didn’t have much but had 7 children and was able to do it and that is inspiring to see what she accomplished do with nothing.

ES: Guard your image, girls can be taken advantage of and the will scrutinize you more. You don’t know what you might want to do in the future. That doesn’t mean don’t have fun, do those things but do it in moderation. Think about what you’re doing before you do it.

We at HerCampus would like to thank all the candidates who interviewed and we would like to wish warm congratulations to the winners. Thank you for being willing to interview! We are so excited to see what you will do with your position. Best Wishes!

Heather Lana

Georgia Southern

International Studies and Public Relations Dual Degree. Chinese and I.T. Minor. Obsessed with Dr.Who, Blacklist,Bob's Burgers and food blogging. You can often find me in my apartment trying to turn into a burrito because burritos don't have to do homework, tests or finals.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.