HerSports: Wild, Wild West

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

The Georgia Southern Eagles headed back out west this weekend to take on the New Mexico State Aggies in hopes of winning its fourth straight and going 6-1 and officially becoming bowl eligible. The Eagles defeated the Aggies 48-31.

The Eagles’ offense started out slow for the second straight game as they trailed 14-3 in the first quarter but eventually got into a groove that resulted in the team tying their season high in points with 48.

With injuries causing three key players to be ruled out in Saturday’s game, it took the team a little while to get adjusted. One of those key players happened to be starting running back Wesley Fields who was out with an injured shoulder.

The team took on a next man up mentality as the backup running backs rushed for a combined 389 yards. Redshirt freshman Logan Wright led the way with 136 yards and two touchdowns as he rushed for his first career 100-yard game.

Quarterback Shai Werts, who got pretty banged up last week, seemed to be better than ever as he was 4/4 throwing the ball for 77 yards and rushed for 78 yards.

The defense looked a little rocky giving up the most points it has all season with New Mexico State scoring 31 points. However, they had three takeaways, which extends their turnover streak to 10 straight games. Defensive end Quan Griffin had two forced fumbles while cornerback Kindle Vildor came up with an interception. The Eagles are +14 in the turnover margin this season which is currently second ranked in the FBS.

Georgia Southern heads back home Thursday night to take on their rival Appalachian State Mountaineers who are in the top 25 in FBS rankings for the first time in school history. This game should be a high scoring shootout and one you don’t want to miss! Help your Eagles out and #PackPaulson!

GAMECHANGERS: Backup Running Backs

• Logan Wright: 136 yds, 2 tds
  • Monteo Garrett: 78 yds, 1 td
  • Matt LaRoche: 13 yds
  • Wesley Kennedy lll: 99 yds, 2 tds
Jorden Allen

Georgia Southern '21

Jorden is a sophomore journalism major at Georgia Southern University. She grew up in Atlanta, GA and enjoys sleeping, eating and watching football! #southernneverstate #hailsouthern #gata
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.