rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Having An Unpleasant Day? Here’s How You Can Reverse It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Have you ever experienced a day so unpleasant that when you got home, you just sat down, blank-stared then thought to yourself: “Wow. Today was one crappy day. I’m glad it’s over.”? We all can attest to experiencing days that begin unpleasantly. It’s even worse when things continue going downhill throughout the remainder of the day. 

Sure, being optimistic all of the time is unrealistic and challenging. But, allow me to say it actually is possible to reverse a “bad day” so – there is hope. Here are a few ways to reverse an unpleasant day:

Shift Your Mindset.

At this point, your mindstate is likely harmful; feeling bitter, disheartened, annoyed, sad, or vengeful. None of the emotions previously listed is positive. So, not only is this unpleasant day affecting you psychologically but even physically. Your aura should be good, not bad. Therefore, a shift in your mindset is necessary. Confront both the predicament(s) which dampened your day as well as your own mindset. Now, you can adjust your mindset by taking control of yourself. It is not what happens to you, but how you respond that matters. Have a woosah moment and clear your mind. 

Speak positive affirmations.

Our words are power – literally! The words we verbalize can change the atmosphere around us. Affirmations refer to a practice of positive thinking and self-empowerment by way of vocalizing positive statements. In the instance of experiencing an unpleasant day, you can declare:

• “Today is a great day.”

• “I am living to my full potential.”
  • “I am learning to trust the journey.”

• “The struggles and frustrations of today are my motivation to persevere.”

• “I create the life I want and I enjoy it.”

Put your weight on it!

You have shifted your mindset, spoken positive affirmations, now it is time to believe your day has shifted for the better. Dominate the predicament even more by having unwavering faith in what you’ve stated and moving along with your day. Put your weight on it! Smile, make light of the situation and use it as fuel to increase your determination to make the remainder of the day greater.

Ciara Childs

Georgia Southern '23

Ciara Childs, CPhT is a Political Science undergraduate student at Georgia Southern University. She is a native of Albany, Georgia. Her hobbies include traveling, learning, writing, cooking, and meditating. Ciara's philosophy of life would be best described by Maya Angelou's quote "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.