Wellness > Health

Having Memory Issues? Here Are Some Tactics to Cope With It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Experiencing memory problems are an unfortunate matter that the majority of us can relate to regardless of age. It’s quite normal. I personally experience forgetfulness. It causes you to feel a fuse of emotions that may be described as frustration, fear, indignation, or anxiety. Being that we’re all different, the severity of these memory problems range from minor to major as well as its root cause. 

Although it is suggested to seek medical opinions concerning the condition of your memory issues, there are ways to cope with it. As someone who faces these issues myself, I have learned what tactics work well for me. Also, I’ve learned of some ways to improve my memory. Here are multiple tactics to cope with memory issues:

Practice repetition.

Just as skills are learned and improved upon by way of repetition – so can your memory. Try verbally repeating or regularly thinking of what you need to remember.

Make use of sticky notes.

Sticky notes are a lifesaver! Just simply write down information onto it and paste them anywhere. I would suggest pasting the notes in areas most frequented like the kitchen, bathroom, and office.

Eat foods in which enhance cognitive function.

Our brains are like machines in a sense. It’s constantly functioning to achieve established goals therefore always requiring replenishment and even “upgrading”. One way you can “upgrade your brain is by way of food consumption. Increasing your intake of foods such as broccoli, fish, dark chocolate, nuts, eggs, berries, and orange will progressively enhance your cognitive function. 

Be organized.

Knowing the exact location of various items can reduce the chance of forgetting where things are. You could even label certain compartments and areas. Make your life a little easier by simply being organized.

Practice mindfulness.

Practice being in an aware state of mind. When you are mindful of the environment surrounding you, your actions & speech, including others’ actions & speech, it is more likely you will recall circumstances.

Ciara Childs

Georgia Southern '23

Ciara Childs, CPhT is a Political Science undergraduate student at Georgia Southern University. She is a native of Albany, Georgia. Her hobbies include traveling, learning, writing, cooking, and meditating. Ciara's philosophy of life would be best described by Maya Angelou's quote "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.