This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

To reduce the amount of times I say “my hair”, we are going to refer to my afro as ‘Fifi’. All I want is for Fifi to always look her best and to be as healthy as possible, but alas she has a mind of her own sometimes. I’ve been natural for about 4 years and let me tell you… *preacher voice* I’ve had good days, I’ve had some hills to climb, I’ve had some weary daayyys. No, but seriously my relationship with Fifi has been a rollercoaster struggle.

As this bipolar winter draws to close and we prepare for spring break and the trying summer heat. Here are some tips that I’ve learned along the way on how to keep your curls and coils looking flawless for the months to come:

1. Moisturize your hair daily. Water is one of the best moisturizers for your hair. Invest in a small spray bottle and mist your hair once or twice a day. If you’re like me where shrinkage is a major factor, twist or braid your hair (at night before going to bed) in to medium to big sections beforehand.
  2. Beware the Sun. Just like your skin your hair needs protection from the Sun’s harmful UV rays. Layer your hair with oils that contain a natural SPF like olive oil or Jojoba oil.
  3. Hydrate before swimming. We all like to swim when the weather is nice, but make sure to moisturize your tresses before. Failing to do so will result in your strands soaking up salt a chlorine.
  4. Combat Frizz. Depending on where you live, I’m sure it can get humid outside. Sometime some naturals like to reduce the amount of product to prevent frizz, but this will actually increase the amount of frizz. When you are trying to achieve a well-defined twist out, moisturizing your hair effectively will lessen the appearance because humidity won’t have as much of an impact.

Stay beautiful ladies (…and gents).

19 Georgia Southern Junior Graphic Design Major I aspire to be an experiencer
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.