This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Let’s face it: If you’re a drinker, the chances of you ending homecoming celebrations with a hangover are high to inevitable. Someone will urge you to take that last Fireball shot that leads you to your doom, or you’ll gulp down some yummy hunch punch like it’s a juice box and you’re 6. Either way, you need to be hangover prepared. Here are some ways to avoid the hangover entirely or handle it when it comes along.

Game Plan: Prevention

1. Eating! There are only two times in our lives where we can justifiably gorge ourselves on whatever we want. One is when we’re pregnant and the other is before we get hammered. The usual don’ts like pizza and french fries are perfect for pre-drinking soakage, but if you insist being that thing called “healthy,” you can go for fish like trout or salmon instead.

2. Drink water! Your friends may laugh at you now but you’ll be laughing at them later when you’re the only one totally fine the next day. Drinking water between alcoholic beverages lowers your chance of getting a hangover the next day. Also, it’s rumored that a spoonful of olive oil before a night of drinking is a prevention miracle. How about I let you try that one and report back?

3. Stick with one type of alcohol! Some will say that it’s a myth that mixing different types of liquor is bad, but tell that to the girl puking down the hall who thought tequila shots and vodka drinks were a good combination. Let’s just stay on the safe side and pick only one poison for the night.

Game Plan: Curing

1. Water! Where’s the water? Hmm, I’m starting to get the feeling that water was put on this Earth for a reason. Research has shown that sports drinks like Powerade don’t help any more than good ol’ water does. So skip the annoying trip to the store and pour a glass of H20.

2. Bananas are said to be very effective when it comes to hangovers. I don’t know about you but at this point I’m willing to try anything…

3. Sleep it off! It’s impossible to feel the crappy weight of all your decisions when you’re sound asleep. Let’s just chock this up to a fail and go to sleep, hmm? 

Martinique McCrory

Georgia Southern

A Southern student from the North, Martinique "Martini" McCrory is a senior political science major and philosophy minor. She can be loosely defined by her insistence on the word pop, her love for all things Oscar Wilde, and her Dracula-like disdain for daylight.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.