Hairstyles Every Naturalista Can Try Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

One of the best things that natural hair offers is its ability to be versatile. It can hold shape and be styled in a variety of ways. Boring hair is nearly nonexistent once you began playing around with your hair to see what styles you like best.

Wearing styles that do not require heat or excessive manipulation is vital to hair growth and health. Choosing styles that require low manipulation helps prevent breakage as well.

It is common to become bored with your hair and it does not make it any better when you have no idea what to do or how to style it. There are so many easy styles that anyone can do with a little practice and there are tons of helpful video tutorials across the web for our use.

Check out these simple, natural-friendly hairstyles to give a try when you feel like switching it up:

High Puff (Pineapple Style)

The high puff is definitely a favorable, classic style. It can be worn during any time of the year and is probably the easiest hairstyles to do. All this style requires is pulling your hair up using a hair tie, simple as that.

Slicked Back Bun

(Photo: Creole Naturelle)

There is nothing cleaner than a slicked back look. This style is perfect for a subtle slayage. It offers a more professional look that would be perfect for a job interview, or even make it elegant for a wedding. Fortunately, this style can still be rocked on those casual days. It can be worn with a middle, side part or with no part at all, whichever you feel looks best on you.

And if buns are not your style, go for a slick back puff! A slick back puff looks great when worn with hats, too.

Space Buns

Space buns are cute, edgy and can be jazzed up however you like. Add mini twists or braids in the front if you feel like being a little extra. The buns can be turned into puffs as well.

Two French Braids

French braids are a classic and can be natural hair friendly. Simply part your hair equally down the middle and braid down both sides. You can even add hair for extra length and fuller braids.

Box Braids & Twists

Any time is the perfect opportunity to indulge in protective styles. Giving your hair a break can promote hair growth because of the minimum manipulation that is required. Box Braids and Senegalese or Marley Twists are great protective styles. 

Bantu Knots

Bantu knots are a great protective style as well. They can be worn as is or taken out, leaving your hair with beautiful curls. Rihanna even rocked them at for the 2014 iHeart Radio Awards.

Finger Coils

Finger coils involve you taking small sections of your hair and twirling each piece around your finger in a spiral motion to create defined curls, or coils. Once your hair dries, you can separate the curls for a fuller look. This style is time consuming, however the results are worth it.

I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.