Style > Beauty

Hair Talk: My Current Favorite Natural Hair Friendly Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Since being natural, I have had ongoing battles when trying to figure out what products work best for my hair. This journey has been full of trial and error as you could imagine.

There are so many products to choose from that it can be overwhelming and sometimes you do not know where to start or what your hair needs. Nothing hurts more than giving a product that works for everyone else a try and it does absolutely nothing for you. Once I come across a product that works and my hair loves, I hang on to it for dear life – until my hair gets too comfortable with them and they stop performing well, of course.

These few hair products come from various lines and have not failed me yet. Sure, I try all kinds of products and alternate occasionally, but these happen to be my favorite at the moment. They moisturize, define and give me desired results.

EDEN Bodyworks Coconut Shea Pudding Souffle

EDEN Bodyworks has amazing products, which is why I will be including three of them in this list. I use this souffle as a leave-in when I do wash-n-go’s. I also use it for styling because of how moisturizing it is. It does not flake at all and leaves my hair feeling soft as butter.

EDEN Bodyworks Coconut Shea Curl Defining Crème

I use this product as an alternative to gel for defining my curls. I also think it would work great in adding definition to braid-outs and twist-outs. This product does well in fighting against humidity, so my hair does not frizz up immediately after stepping foot in this Georgia heat.

EDEN Bodyworks Coconut Shea Hair Masque

My last EDEN Bodyworks product is this deep conditioner that has recently become my holy grail. When I use this, it becomes impossible to keep my hands out my hair. It makes my hair unbelievably soft and manageable. Deep conditioning is vital for moisture and hair growth and I am glad to have come across this. I highly recommend giving this one a try.

Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Jamaican Black Castor Oil has been my favorite hair oil for the past year or so. I love it because its great at moisturizing and doesn’t make my hair feel heavy or greasy. It is also good to put on the scalp to combat dryness.

Aunt Jackie’s Don’t Shrink Flaxseed Elongating Curling Gel

This is an awesome gel to use to make your curls pop. I cannot say that it helps with shrinkage because I personally do not notice a huge difference, but I would still recommend this product for other reasons. It is a moisturizing gel and does not leave my hair feeling dry, flaky or hard. The definition is gives is amazing and a little goes a long way.

Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Butter Cream

I used Garnier Fructis during my transitioning stage and I was excited when I came across this leave in conditioner. This leave in has a nice scent and glides smoothly along my hair strands. Another great thing about this product is that it is extremely inexpensive, so you can have great hair without hurting your bank account.

I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.