Georgia Southern Alumnus: Antwione Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Here’s a true Georgia Southern example of G-A-T-A! Meet Alumnus Antwione Williams. After graduating from Lovejoy High School where he was a two-time All-Regional selection, along with many other accomplishments within his football career, Williams committed to the great Georgia Southern University. Antwione Williams immediately got on the field, playing in a total of 11 games during his first season. Each season, Williams was an asset to the team. Within his time at GSU, Williams was an honorable mention All-Sun Belt selection twice (2014 & 2015). He achieved many other things such as being listed as second on the team with 65 tackles – 44 solo, 21 assists and eight tackles for loss in 2014. Although, football was his passion he did not lose sight of his degree. Williams earned Dean’s List in Spring 2015 and was a member of the Eagle Honor Roll for Spring 2015. He then graduated with a degree in psychology! In 2016, Antwione Williams was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the fifth round of the 2016 NFL Draft!

HerCampus (MW): What’s your favorite thing to do to pass time?

• AW: My favorite things to do in my down time would definitely be to relax, play video games and enjoy a nice cold drink, because down timeis sparing at best.

HerCampus (MW): What’s your go-to song before a game?

• AW: Pretty much anything Future will get me excited to suit up and go play! I.e “Salute” or “Ain’t no time.”

HerCampus (MW): What’s one thing many do not know about you?

• AW: I got my degree in psychology and I want to obtain my masters soon. Also begin to help people in my community by covering most of the cost for them to visit my practice that I would intend on opening up. I want to deal with substance abuse and behavior modification in people that are affected by drug and alcohol abuse.

HerCampus (MW): What’s a quote/phrase that you live by? and Why?

• AW: “There’s no point in wishing you was back in the bed after you get up. You might as well make the most of the day. You’re already up!” I said that a lot to keep me and my teammate/ roommate in training camp going after about 3 weeks in.

HerCampus (MW): What did you enjoy most during your time at Georgia Southern?

• AW:  Summertime and football season at Southern aren’t like anywhere else. The summers are chill and hot so after a long day of classes and working out you can hit the pool almost everyday. I don’t think I need to go into depth about the football season at GSU.

HerCampus (MW): How did Georgia Southern help mold you into the person that you are in your profession today?

• AW: I went from a oversized safety/ undersized linebacker who committed to a D1AA school to winning the first bowl game in school history against the number one offense in the nation. To being drafted and playing significant snaps in my rookie campaign. I don’t know where else that would’ve been possible besides Georgia Southern.

HerCampus (MW): What’s your favorite memory from GSU?

• AW: It has to be when we won the Sun Belt title (in 2014) outright at home. ULM was talking all kinds smack that whole week and when I say that pass land incomplete, my whole spirit was just filled with an overjoyed feeling.

HerCampus (MW): Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

• AW: Hopefully, if not finishing, still enjoying an illustrious career in the NFL.

HerCampus (MW): What advice would you give to your 18 year old self?

• AW: “Patience young man. Patience!”

HerCampus (MW): What would your dream job be if you weren’t playing in the NFL?

• AW: Owning my own psych practice would be pretty dope and I would eventually become a psychiatrist.

Want to know more about Georgia Southern’s Alumnus Antwione Williams? Visit the links below!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwione_Williams

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/roster/antwione-williams/bbe3c990-8fd8-4ae4-8e29-e45d22b0f36f/

http://www.antwionewilliams.com/

Mykalah Woodson

Georgia Southern

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.