This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

“You’re my bestfriend”, a phrase used so loosely. “You’re my friend”, a phrase used too loosely. Now a days the word friend is thrown around so often that the real meaning has been lost. I myself seem to change my group of friends more than I change my sheets.

If you look up the word friend you will find a number of ways to define it. However, my favorite definition is, a person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause, a comrade.

Have you ever noticed, and maybe everyone hasn’t had the same experience as me, but every time something goes wrong in your life your so called “friends” are nowhere to be found? You call, they don’t answer, you text them, no response, facetime, ring ring, no damn answer. But when they need something you answer on the first ring, you text back within minutes, YOU’RE THERE.

Some of us have become so unfamiliar with the concept of friendship that we find ourselves speaking badly about our friends, forgetting their birthdays, not being honest, keeping secrets, and even not liking their picture on Instagram.

It’s not that hard to tell if someone is a true friend, so here are three simple ways:

1. Calling multiple times and not receiving an answer. No, they weren’t sleeping and yes, they did get your call. Now, I do realize many people are busy during weekdays, but if you can’t get a response majority of the time you reach out to them then they’re most likely not trying to talk to you.   
  2. It’s hard finding something to talk about with them. Too many awkward pauses during a convo, may mean you have nothing in common with this person, and that may mean this person is more of an acquaintance than a friend.
  3. You don’t feel happy around them. You should want to hang out with your friends. If hanging with your friend or friends is more of a chore than a want, then it’s time to cut ties.

Keep in mind all of these reasons may not apply to you. The best way to tell if someone is truly your friend is based off how you feel about them. What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think about them? Depending on your answer, I hope you make the best choice on who to keep in your life and who to cut the f**k out.

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.