Freshman Fifteen: Fifteen Tips that every Freshman Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

To most college freshmen, college is a huge readjustment. From living on campus to establishing your own curfew, college may seem difficult.

Actually, college is difficult. Your parents can’t come and have a chat with your professors when you’re failing a class. Not everyone in your graduating senior class decided to go to the same college as you, so making new friends can be a little stressful. You may be able to think of more reasons why college as a freshman is hard, but the most popular reason is that freshman fifteen.

The thought of gaining fifteen pounds could actually scare anyone, but have you really thought about freshman fifteen? Not the aspect of gaining 15 pounds, but the words of advice that upperclassmen, professors, parents and other classmates have shared. The advice can vary from “bring two scantrons to a test with you just in case someone forgets one” to “the best way to pass Professor Duke’s class is to pay attention to the maps she has on the PowerPoints”, every freshman can quote at least one word of advice that was given to them. College may be difficult, but my freshman fifteen will make it a lot less stressful.

1. Get Involved

Staying active is a great way to get rid of the freshman jitters. Whether it’s picking up a new hobby or joining a new club, finding a way to get active on campus is a great way to meet new friends and make precious memories.

1. Take Advantage of Resources

This piece of advice was something I definitely struggle with. I’m always too busy to take advantage of the resources that I practically pay for. It wasn’t until recently that I realized that the only way I’m going to succeed in college is by taking advantage of resources that would help me in college. For those who may be unsure of what I mean when I say resources, resources could be anything from teacher’s office hours to tutoring sessions. Resources are there to help struggling college students succeed.

1. Make New Friends

Every freshman’s goal is to make new friends whether they know it or not. Everyone is looking for friendships that make college more fun and less scary. Don’t be scared to introduce yourself to someone new.

1. Don’t be Afraid to Ask for Help

I, also, struggle with asking for help. Whether it be teachers or classmates, I would refuse to ask for help, because I felt like I was bothering them with my question. If you’re too scared to ask for help during a class period, utilize a teacher’s office hours to get one on one help. Also, GroupMe is a good way to ask classmates for help.

1. GroupMe is your Best Friend

GroupMe is an app where you can make group chats. It’s a great way for you and your classmates to interact while not in class.

1. Stay Organized

Organization is the key to success. I use my organizational planner everyday to keep up with my classes and events I plan to attend. Also, you should try to keep your notebook organized so that it’s easier for you to study.

1. Join a Student Organization

If you are struggling to find friends or maybe want to find different ways to get involved, you should join a student organization. From Chemistry Club to fraternity life, there is a variety of interesting organizations in which you can get involved.

1. Don’t Skip Class

Unlike high school, there are some classes that you may take where attendance isn’t mandatory. Even though the temptation to just skip that class and stay asleep is strong, you are missing valuable information that’s essential for you to pass the class. Also, your presence in class shows the professor that you care about your grade and education which makes asking for extra credit a lot easier.

1. Time Management is Important

In college, you will figure out that time is super scarce. There is no possible way for you to enjoy college unless you learn to manage your time. Time management can apply to studying, socializing, volunteering, working and sleeping. In order to have a perfect balance between each of these sections, you need to adjust your time so that you are to find a perfect balance.

1. Introduce Yourself to your Professors

Getting to know your professors makes attending class a lot easier. Whether it’s sending them an email or popping up at their office hours, allowing the professors to put a face to your name will help you thrive in their class. 

1. You Actually Need to Study 

There’s no correct or wrong way to study. For most people, studying involves them sitting down highlighting information and reciting important facts. For me, studying involves me sitting down and rewriting my notes. There’s no definite way to study as long as you retain the information you are studying.

1.  Apply for Scholarships

College is expensive and books, tuition, and student fees will begin to accumulate. One of the easiest but time consuming ways to make college more affordable is through scholarships. There are so many organizations willing to help students pay for college if they would only apply. I completely understand that college applications do take a bit of time to complete, but it’s totally worth it.

1. Extra isn’t Always Bad

I’m pretty sure everyone has met someone who is completely extra. Actually to most of my friends, I am that extra person, but sometimes being extra isn’t bad. Putting forth your best effort shows the professor that you care. Having high goals and expectations doesn’t make you unrealistic, it shows that you have high goals and standards and doesn’t let life constrict you.

1. It’s Completely Fine to Cry

Crying doesn’t mean that you’re weak or sensitive. I’m the type of person who sets high goals and sometimes become disappointed when I am unable to accomplish those goals. It’s perfectly fine if you feel like you just want to cry, because you’re probably not alone. College is stressful and you should find ways to relieve the stress whether it’s crying or playing sports. Also, the sleep you get right after you cry is always the best.

1.  Freshman Fifteen 

College is meant to be fun. If you gain fifteen pounds your freshman year, you have your next three years to lose it.

Image Source:

https://images.app.goo.gl/92jafoBPUA8921t18

Kimmy Smith

Georgia Southern '23

? don’t be afraid to achieve your dreams ? Do you like my work, but would like to see me write about a certain topic? Let me know on Snapchat: @kimber44444
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.