Career

Five Inspirational Women of Color Under 25

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

As college women, we are doing all that we can to build ourselves up. We are studying hard to earn our degrees. We are involved in certain organizations, and we volunteer so that we can build our resumes and portfolios. We are working jobs that will lead us to the jobs we really want. We’re competing with students locally, statewide, and nationwide to get internships. Adulting can be hard. Learning about yourself and progressing yourself can be hard. You have to work hard to get where you want to go, because what you want is not going to just fall from the sky and into your lap. Some of us can be impatient. For me personally, sometimes I wish I was 25 years old and that I had a certain job, a certain car, or lived in a certain area – but i’m not going to get there by daydreaming. There is also a saying that minorities have to work twice as hard to get where you want to go. If you ever lose hope about your abilities to climb the ladder and get where you want to go, just because you’re in school or young doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Here are five inspirational women under 25 that we can all look to for ambition and determination:

1. Simone Biles

This 21-year-old has made gymnastic history. She is a three-time world all-around champion,  three-time world floor champion, two-time world balance beam champion, five-time United States nationals all-around champion, and a member of the gold-medal-winning American team. She has won 19 Olympic and World Championship medals. She was raised by her grandparents, because her parents were addicts and they were not present in her life. In 2018, it was announced that she enrolled in the University of the People to study business administration and become an ambassador for the university. Despite her past, she continues to break the mold at such a young age and so can you. 

2. Malala Yousafzai

This 21-year-old has done amazing things for women. She is a Pakistani activist for female education, and she is the youngest Nobel Prize winner. In 2012, she and two other girls were shot by a Taliban to try and assassinate her, because of her activism. She recovered and founded the Malala Fund and co authored “I am Malala,” a bestseller. She has been featured in Time magazine as one of the most influential people globally multiple times and has received many other honors. Despite her life being in danger and being threatened, she continues to do great things for women on a global scale. 

3.Naomi Osaka

This 20-year-old is the reigning US open champion. She has won two titles and reached four finals on the Women Tennis Association tour. She is the first Japanese player to win a Grand Slam singles tournament after beating the great Serena Williams. 

4. Amandla Stenberg

This 19- year-old is an American actress and feminist. They have starred in the “Hunger Games,” “Columbiana,” “Everything, Everything,” and more. They were included in the Time’s list of Most Influential Teens multiple times, and named to Oprah Winfrey’s SuperSoul 100 list of visionaries and influential leaders. They identify as non-binary. 

5. Yara Shahidi

This 18-year-old is an American actress and activist. She plays Zoey Johnson in “Blackish” and “Grownish”. She founded Eighteen x 18 and Yara’s Club. Her accomplishments led to her being written a recommendation letter to Harvard University by former First Lady Michelle Obama. She has also had the opportunity to interview former First Lady and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton provided to her by Teen Vogue.

Khiyah G

Georgia Southern '19

My name is Khiyah Griffin and I am currently a junior at Georgia Southern University majoring in Journalism.