College for Starters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

I know it may seem like college is overwhelming and stressful — To be honest it really is! From a high schooler’s perspective, college may seem all fun and great from the outside looking in. Most college students like myself are aware that college is an episode of endless deadlines. For me, it seems like as soon as I get a chance to relax some other task pops up! So how do I do it, how do I balance life in college?

1. Great Friends – Be sure to surround yourself with positive people. 9 times out of 10 they are stressed just like you, so why not be stressed together? A great group of friends can provide support, laughter, and lots of fun! Don’t be afraid to say “Hey!” to someone and befriend them. It is college so be social.

2. Utilize Your Resources – Most colleges and universities have counseling centers with certified therapist. Do not be afraid to talk to someone, it helps a lot more than you think. I know college brings on a plethora of problems like anxiety, relationship issues, depression, stress, etc. Speak up and speak out, it is healthy. Emotional support is just as important as academic support.

3. Take Care of Yourself – I know it is college and it may seem like it is impossible to eat well, study, exercise, get enough sleep, work, and maintain a 2.5 or higher but, you have to find time for yourself. I am not saying get 8-10 hours of sleep but, I am saying you do not need to pull an all-nighter every other night. Dining halls are often gross and limited but, make a smart choice. If you are planning to eat pizza and fries for lunch, at least walk to class and take the stairs.

4. Get Involved – Join some on-campus organizations. Often in on-campus organizations, you can get away from the studying aspect of college and enjoy the social aspect. Build your network, your friend base, and your résumé all at the same time. Have fun!

5. Weekends – Go out and have fun. Do not spend the entire weekend in your room or the library buried in loads of work. Go to a party, go shopping, go to the movies, go out to eat, hell just do something else besides work! A social life is important!

6. Time Management – Get a calendar and plan your weeks day by day. Don’t procrastinate (even though I know you will) but let’s not procrastinate on every assignment or event. Manage your procrastinating in a way that is suitable for you.

College is said to be the “best four years of your life”. Do not waste four years of your life stressed and overwhelmed. Get your work done but, have fun doing it as well. Study smart and not hard!

Are you a Georgia Southern Student? If so, refer to some of the links below for managing college:

http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/student-activities/studentorgs/

http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/counseling/

http://recreation.georgiasouthern.edu/facilities/recreation-activity-cen…

http://coe.georgiasouthern.edu/ssc/

Nia Jean-Pierre

Georgia Southern

I am an Atlanta native and I am very social once you get to know me. I am an Early-Childhood Education major at Georgia Southern University with a concentration in teaching grades 3-5 with intent of impacting their lives in the most positive way possible. I am often referred to as "not your average girl", I love to shop, hang out with my friends, and get my nails done, however I can play NBA2k on PlayStation all day as well. I thoroughly enjoy weekends at home watching Netflix and relaxing. I am a formal personal blogger with hopes of sharing my personal thoughts with the entire HerCampus community. "A lot of people resist transition and therefore never allow themselves to enjoy who they are. Embrace the change, no matter what it is; once you do, you can learn about the new world you're in and take advantage of it." - Nikki Giovanni
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.