cheers to mother nature

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Today is April 22, also known as Earth Day. Today we take the time to acknowledge the light and life that the Earth so graciously gives to us. Asides from making a Facebook or Instagram post about it, many people don’t know what Earth Day is even celebrated for.

Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on April 22. Worldwide, various events are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. First celebrated in 1970, Earth Day events in more than 193 countries are now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network.”

Here’s a little history on the creation of Earth Day:

“In 1969 at a UNESCO Conference in San Francisco, peace activist John McConnell proposed a day to honor the Earth and the concept of peace, to first be celebrated on March 21, 1970, the first day of spring in the northern hemisphere. This day of nature’s celebration was later sanctioned in a proclamation written by McConnell and signed by Secretary General U Thant at the United Nations. A month later a separate Earth Day was founded by United States Senator Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in first held on April 22, 1970. Nelson was later awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom award in recognition of his work. While this April 22 Earth Day was focused on the United States, an organization launched by Denis Hayes, who was the original national coordinator in 1970, took it international in 1990 and organized events in 141 nations.”

Many people observe Earth Day by going outside, enjoying the beauty of nature, of the natural order of the Earth and its life. So often we can neglect how surreal our surroundings are.

Many celebrities show their appreciation for Earth Day on Instagram. One of my favorite posts were from poet Rupi Kaur.

In her post she stated, “this week i met environmental leader david suzuki @davidsuzukifdn it’s true what i’d heard: he quickly transforms how you think of and interact with the earth. @miyowapan an indigenous knowledge and climate change fellow of the foundation said “plants and trees are our relatives.” we would be nothing without them. the earth the soil and water give us the privilege to live. by renewing our bodies and breath. if they give us the gift of life each day—we have to ask ourselves: what do we give in return?”

Sure, a lot about Earth Day can sound cliche.

But think about the impact we’d make if we all did a ton of little things. If everyone make went meatless one day a week, if everyone unplugged their charger cords when they weren’t using them, if everyone walked to the store instead of drove once a month. These little things could make a grand difference.

Next time you’re on campus, walk around Sweetheart Circle. Look at the trees and admire how wise they look. Take into account the stability they provide, how many proposals they’ve witnessed. Really looking at the services nature provides us can help inspire us to love the Earth everyday.

Everyday is Earth Day.

LaVonna Wright

Georgia Southern

LaVonna is a Junior at Georgia Southern University. She is currently pursuing a major in English Literature with a minor in Religious Studies. LaVonna worked as a writer for the 2017-2018 school year, and is now the editor for the 2018-2019 school year. She loves all of the softer things in life and aspires to use her passion for written word to help others become the best version of themselves. Check out her personal blog: lavonnawrites.com or follow her on Instagram @_lwright "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God’s handwriting." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.