The Center of Wildlife Education Brings Together Animals and Education

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

The Center for Wildlife Education strives to provide educational information about all kinds of animals, as well as environmental awareness. Animals include eagles, raptors (or birds of prey), reptiles, amphibians, waterfowl and a few mammals.  

The origin began in 1990 with the misidentification of a large bird of prey flying over Paulson Stadium. As Georgia Southern University’s football team was about to win its fourth national championship, a television camera focused on a bird flying overhead, and a sports announcer called it a Bald Eagle. It was, in fact, a Turkey Vulture. After the sports broadcast Harry Mathews, a University supporter and outdoor enthusiast, decided Georgia Southern should have a Bald Eagle on campus. Master Falconer Steve Hein was contacted and the search began. From the quest for a bald eagle, the Center for Wildlife Education we have today was created.

The center is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. and on Saturday from 1 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.

The center allows field trips, offers interactive programs as well as allowing people to plan events, renting out the facility. The Wildlife Center also has daily 30-minute programs with each one focusing on a different topic. Saturdays also bring exciting programs to keep things exhilarating and fresh!

Kyle King

Georgia Southern

Senior at Georgia Southern University, mass communcations major. Let's have some fun! #Taurus #CarolinaPanthers 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.