Campus Cutie: Solveig Baera

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Blond hair, blue eyes, and fair skin. A happy personality, always smiling and laughing. Solveig Baera, 20, arrived in Statesboro less than two months ago. This economics major is a bubbling personality set out to save the world from inequality and poverty.

Name: Solveig Baera

Age: 20

Hometown: Sandvika, Norway. I have also lived in Washington D.C.; Pretoria, South Africa and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

Major: Economics, minor in International Relations.

Graduation: May 2020

Dream job: Something to do with developmental work in third world countries. A leading position in the Norwegian ministry of foreign affairs or Nora’s would be amazing.

Relationship status: Taken.

Turn on: Goof humor, kindness, sexy smile, abs, and being the Norwegian champion in karate.

Turn off/deal breaker: Acting like a smartass, judging people before knowing them, and not behaving like a gentleman.

Ideal date would be: My boyfriend, obviously. (Or Leonardo DiCaprio.)

A thing not many people know about you: I sing to my favorite songs when I am driving my car alone.

What were your first impressions about Georgia Southern University? The campus looked nice, it had lots of friendly people and lots of stuff to do. That view has changed a bit because I have realized that there are some issues here, for example, racism, that make people seem kind on the outside but in reality they are really judgmental.

What kind of things are you involved with here at GSU? I just signed up for intramural volleyball. I played it in high school. The best part of volleyball is serving and especially getting in an ace serve.

What is your favorite movie and why? I would have to say Titanic because it was the first ‘not a kids’ movie’ I saw when I was 10 years old. I couldn’t finish watching it in one night because I was so scared when the ship started to sink. I had to finish it the next morning. I also love horror movies!

If you could have one superpower, what would it be? I don’t know if this is a real superpower, but I would love to erase inequality from the world. I would like to make poverty and discrimination disappear. But if I just need to pick one for me, then it would be teleportation. Having a long-distance relationship would be so much easier.

If you could give one piece of advice to a large group of people, what would you say? Think before you speak because you never really know the person in front of you until you get to know them. And drink wine.

What are you expecting from your year in the U.S.? A lot of new friends, to learn a lot about different cultures and I also want to become sure that I am studying the right subjects.

I am Minna, I'm 21 years old and I come from Finland. I will be spending the fall semester of 2015 here in Statesboro and exploring America. I love books, writing, tea, early morning workouts and being creative. In the future I hope to be a journalist in a magazine!
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.