Campus Celebrity: Tsiambwom Akuchu ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Name: Tsiambwom M. Akuchu

Hometown: Yaounde, Cameroon

Year: 4th Year Senior

Major: Theatre

HC: What organizations are you involved in?

TA: I am involved in about 4 different organizations on campus. First and foremost is Theatre South. Theatre South is the student org associated with the Theatre Program on campus. Second is Alpha Psi Omega, the Theatre and Academic Honor Fraternity. I am also a part of Euphoria Dance Crew one of 3 dance crew on campus. And Southern Improv, an up and coming organization that does Improvisational Theatre.

HC: What position do you hold and what do you do for your organization?

TA: In Theatre South I’m the co-President. I help run the organization and keep in communication with the Theatre Department professors. I’m a B-boy (break-dancer) for the crew in Euphoria. I’m also one of the founding members of Southern Improv. I just hold a membership position in Alpha Psi.

HC: What do you guys do for Alpha Psi Omega?

TA: Well to get into Alpha Psi, you have to be heavily involved in the Theatre. We spend a lot of time investing in Theatre opportunities, whether performance or backstage or just seeing a show. We are also an Academic society, meaning that we have to put in just as much time on our grades. We are very involved in the community and frequently do outreach projects or community service.

HC: I understand you played the part of Hamlet recently, how did you enjoy it? Was it a difficult role to play?

TA: Well Hamlet was a thing. . . where I said a lot of things and did even more things. I had fun, although in the process of it, it was hard to tell, haha. When you dive into a character as deep and rich, and frankly psychotic, it becomes an experience. Hamlet is a difficult role to play, if you’re not prepared. One thing about him is that he is constantly emoting, so walking around a stage for about 3 hours with a high level of energy and emotion gets difficult. Especially when you’re either crazy, angry, sad, angsty . . . always angsty, or all at once.

HC: How do you spend your leisure time?

TA: I spend a lot of my free time, all 5 minutes of it, on Netflix. Well, not always. You can usually catch me at the RAC or the Bandshell or the Rotunda dancing with my crew. I also enjoy a good book (usually a play), hot tea, and a HULU PLUS account.

HC: What advice do you have for other aspiring actors?

TA: Well acting is like a sport, if you don’t practice, you won’t get better. So find as much work as possible. You won’t start being the best, or at the top. You have to build your way up, make connections, establish yourself. Make sure you know what you’re getting into, study up on everything you can. Lastly, don’t give up on the dream, if you’re committed, you’ll make it.

Samantha Harvey

Georgia Southern

I was born in New York. I go to Georgia Southern University. I love to write and read.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.