Campus Celebrity: Nico “Frenchy” Servel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Most of his stories sound unbelievable. He has done stuff that a normal American college student can only dream about. And now he is studying at Georgia Southern University. He arrived to the hot and humid Statesboro two months ago with one goal I mind: getting a degree in an American university.You can spot him around campus riding his bike and singing at the same time, or climbing to the tops of buildings to observe the stars for an astronomy lab. Most of his new American friend call him Frenchy.

Her Campus had a chat with him to figure out why he chose to be part of the Eagle community and what kind of plans he has for the future.

Name: Nico (Frenchy) Servel

Age: 20

Hometown: Toulon, France

Year/Graduation: Freshman

Major/Minor: International Relations 

HC: You have lived all over the world. Can you tell us a bit about all the places?

NS: I am originally from Toulon, France. It is a very beautiful city by the ocean in the south of France. Just picture a large bay, a lot of islands, and little villages near the shore. The climate is warm and the weather is always sunny because the city is surrounded with mountains so it rarely rains.

I have also lived on a boat in Tahiti for five years when I was a kid. I loved Tahiti. Living on a boat gives you freedom and meeting people who live the same way… It’s just awesome.

From Tahiti, we moved back to France and stayed in Paris for a while before moving to Normandy. During secondary school and high school, I did a lot of semesters and summers abroad in places like Norway, Alaska, London and New York.

The last place I lived before coming to the U.S. was China. I did a summer internship and eventually got hired for a job there.

HC: Why did you choose Georgia Southern University?

NS: I like the hot weather. No, I need the hot weather. If it rains, I’m sad. So a part of the decision to come here was that the school is in the south. I actually wouldn’t mind if it was even hotter! Also, the campus is very nice and pretty. After China I knew I wanted to go back to school and, you know, getting a degree in the U.S. looks really good in your resume.

HC: Are you a part of any campus organizations?

NS: Not yet. As I said, I have only been here for two months so I haven’t really figured out what my thing here on campus would be. I tried the writing club for a while, but that didn’t really work. But I will definitely figure something out.

HC: What kind of plans you have after graduation?

NS: I have no idea what I will do when I graduate. I have a lot of ideas and I need to find a way to pull all those ideas together. I want to help kids that learn faster than others. So opening a school for kids like that would be one option. I also love traveling so something to do with the hotel business would be interesting. In addition, I am writing a novel at the moment so I would like to finish that and write some more. But, I don’t want to make too many plans for the future. I am a very impulsive person so I’ll just see where life leads me!

I am Minna, I'm 21 years old and I come from Finland. I will be spending the fall semester of 2015 here in Statesboro and exploring America. I love books, writing, tea, early morning workouts and being creative. In the future I hope to be a journalist in a magazine!
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.