Campus Celebrity: BSA President Konnelius Martin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Her Campus: What is it like being the president of Georgia Southern’s Black Student Alliance and what requirements did you need to become the president of such a great organization?

Konnelius Martin: Being the President of Georgia Southern’s Black Student Alliance has definitely been an experience of a lifetime. I’ve met some of the most well rounded and hardworking students that this campus has to offer. I often feel blessed and thankful for such a position that has given me the opportunity to build an organization with a wonderful executive board for outstanding BSA University members. Before becoming President, it was evident that BSA was pretty much at Ground Zero and needed an individual with determination and the ability to lead a team that would work towards rebuilding this home for minority students.

HC: What other organizations are you associated with? What is your role in these organizations?

KM: I have no role in no other organizations besides the sub-organizations within The Black Student Alliance (U.R.B.A.N.A.C.T., The Freshman Council, and Blaqshion Fashion Company). However, I would like to say that I try to maintain the relationships with other on-campus organizations that are achieving just as much for our university and community.

HC: How do you balance your school work and manage to stay very involved on campus while still maintaining your social life?

KM: With great commitment comes sacrifices and time management. I always make sure that my education is my priority. I sometimes find most of my social life to somehow involve my BSA family due to the fact that I’ve met some of my closest friends through The Black Student Alliance. I may have nights that I sacrifice a few hours of sleep for a project or homework every other week, but I love to see the results of hard work. I think I do an awesome job of balancing my friends, BSA, and graduating on time with my GPA intact.

HC: What has been your most memorable moment this past year and how did it change you for the better?

KM: My most memorable moment was the return of The Black Student Alliance week coined “Black on Campus” for the return of BSA. The events that week put all our skills of leadership, planning, time management, execution, and etc. to an ultimate test. We were able to bring The Black History Month Masquerade Gala to Georgia Southern University. I was overwhelmed with gratefulness and emotion like I’ve ever felt during my undergraduate experience. The night and event humbled me in so many ways and made me appreciate those that support me so much more.

HC: Any role models on campus you would like to acknowledge? If so, who? & what have they done to mold you into the person you are today?

KM: I have 3 actually. The first would be Mrs. Julie Ogburn, Coordinator of Student Conduct and my FYE professor freshman year. She encouraged me to get involved on campus and take on many of the leadership roles I had before becoming BSA President. Second would be Ms. Jodi-Ann Simpson, GSU Alumna and former president of DIMES Fashion Organization. I was unofficially mentored by Jodi during her term as DFO President and learned to operate as an effective leader by shadowing her. My final role model would be Mr. Christopher Pugh, Advisor and Mentor to multiple students. BSA owes a lot of its success to our Advisor. I owe a lot of my own success to Chris Pugh. I could only hope to affect as many individuals and lives that he has over the years at our university.

HC: Who are the members of your Executive Board for Black Student Alliance and what are their roles?

KM: The Black Student Alliance Executive Board is 18 members strong including myself. In no particular order, there is Xavieria Jeffers and Kiante Childress that coordinates all BSA outreach programs through U.R.B.A.N.A.C.T., which stands for Us Reaching Back Aiding and Nurturing a Community Together. We have Courtney Hall and Tyler Perry coordinating the Freshman Leadership Academy that mentors and trains The Freshman Council. Chaze Jenkins and Latanya Atwell-Cooney are the coordinators for the annual Blaqshion Fashion Show. Ahkeem Taylor is our Parliamentarian who is in charge of maintaining order at meetings. BSA has an Internal Secretary, Tiffani Williams, and External Secretary, Danielle Stephens. Our Membership and Development director, Tyler Fulwood, keeps track of membership and runs our membership drive each semester. Dominick Olabutayi, the BSA treasurer, keeps track of all BSA finances. Asya Fields is our fundraising director. Eddie Smith is our historian that creatively finds ways to display BSA events to the public. Jasmyn Bush and Lorenzo Perry are our Public Relations directors that handle all sponsorships, printing, social media, and BSA’s image. Tamearia Williams is our Social Events coordinator that comes up with a lot of the content for BSA events. Devin Dekle is our talented director of Multimedia Affairs. This consists of photography and cinematography that BSA may need.

HC: What is it like working with a team? Do you all have friendships outside of BSA?

KM: I couldn’t have asked for a better team. These individuals are resourceful, determined, creative, patient, understanding, and so much more. They all each bring something unique to the executive board and the BSA Experience. With any team comes hard times that we may have faced together before, but it’s great to know we are each strong enough to continue to carry out The Black Student Alliance mission and purpose. We are all friends outside of BSA and very close knit. We are usually seen together with other members of BSA University.

HC: We noticed you are always dressed so nicely. You rarely have a “bummy” day. Do you feel that it is important to always look your personal best?

KM: I do feel that it is important to look your personal best. It shows that you care about your appearance and says a lot to others of how you carry yourself. Many may disagree with that, but I was raised in a household that I could possibly be chastised for making an unacceptable public appearance.

HC: How do you like Georgia Southern University and what qualities do you think you have brought to the University?

KM: At first, I was not sure if Georgia Southern was right for me and planned to attend another school my sophomore year. After already being accepted into the other university, I began to realize the mistake I was going to make. I had begun to make friends, meet mentors, and get involved on campus. Then is when I changed changed my mind and decided that this university was my home. I guess one could say I helped bring The Black Student Alliance to Georgia Southern University. BSA is home to many minority students and brought many of these individuals together for fun experiences and personal development. Other than that, I can’t say I’ve brought much other than another unique personality striving to be a Georgia Southern University graduate.

HC: What do you want people to know about the real you and not just the celebrity on campus?

KM: I’ve grown not to get too caught up in how I’m perceived as long as I believe my heart and mind is in the right place. Those that really know me are aware and truly see that I am much more than the president of BSA and awesome person to be around. I’m a natural comic and very loyal to my values and beliefs. I’m a really great listener and rather people tell me of themselves. I believe I credit a lot to my past and upbringing. The real me is easy to get to know once you try to get to know me for yourself.

HC: Thank you for your time and continue to shine!

Chelsea Davis

Georgia Southern

I am a junior majoring in Multimedia Journalism. My future goals are to attend The School of Law at Georgia State University, obtain a business administration law degree from there, and pursue my dreams of broadcasting/news reporting in the city of Atlanta. I enjoy watching movies, shopping, and trying new foods. I guess you could call me a typical girl. My hobbies consist of playing the piano for 15 years, playing the violin for eight years, modeling, and pageants. What can I say, I love being in the spotlight, but with my laid back personality you would never think that. I also have a passion for fashion and interior decorating. I absolutely love animals.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.