kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

A Beginner’s Guide to Journaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

We tend to keep things bottled up until we let it overwhelm us and explode. Journaling is one of the most rewarding practices you could pick up to let things off your chest to simply breathe. It allows you to take back you power and express yourself freely without judgment.

Writing is naturally therapeutic and is why many make journaling an asset to their self-care regimen. You do not have to be a professional writer or even the best writer to journal. Journaling doesn’t even require a fancy notebook; a spiral notebook or even a composition book will do just fine. All it takes is an open mind, some space, pen and paper.

Not knowing how to journal or what even to write about can make journaling intimidating and discourage you from starting, however there is nothing to be afraid of! You are simply putting your thoughts and feelings on paper. There are no rules to writing, just write.

Here are some entry ideas to begin your journaling journey:

#1 How are you feeling? Sometimes it is not easy to verbally express feelings but once you have a pen in your hand the words seem to flow. Whether you feel happy, sad, tired or angry, journal about it. Write down what irritated you. If something made you cry tears of joy today, write about it and relive it. Write as if the sheet of paper is that one close, understanding friend, or a therapist.

#2 Your goals and aspirations. Write down what you want to accomplish in life and use that to hold yourself accountable. Seeing who you want to become and what impact you want to have on this earth written on paper may even  inspire YOU.

#3 A letter to someone. A simple letter to someone has several offerings. A letter might bring you joy, healing or peace. It could build a bridge or burn one. It can be as simple as “you made me feel awful and this is why” or “I do not know how to tell you how thankful I am for you, so I’m putting it in this letter.” You don’t even have to let anyone read it.

#4 Prayers. If you consider yourself spiritual, you might find fulfillment in journaling your prayers. This will help you tap into your spirituality and track your spiritual growth. Imagine the joy and gratitude of seeing a prayer you journaled months ago being answered.

#5 Make lists. Lists require less thought (maybe) and can be fun. They can be of any length and as simple as you’d like. Release some anger and make a list of things that make you mad. Write a list of what you love. List what you want in a partner or friend. Start the morning off with a list of affirmations and see how it impacts the rest of your day.

#6 Do not be afraid to write down the negatives. Nothing is perfect. Every day will not be perfect, and you will not always think the best of yourself, and that is okay. Journaling is a perfect way to confront the not-so romanticized feelings you have. You feel like you don’t look good today? Write it down. Did you gather a new fear? Express where it came from. Does someone rub you the wrong way? Put it in your journal. Not admitting the negative parts of your mind is unhealthy. It is okay to feel ad and be upset over it for a minute, but don’t live it. Put all those things on paper and leave them there. Get it off your mind so you can make room for better.

I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.